Republicans sweep County elections

Home City News Republicans sweep County elections
Republicans sweep County elections

.

Andrew Fink ’06 won the 58th District seat in the Michigan House of Representatives. Courtesy | Facebook

In the midst of a tight presidential race in Michigan, Republicans swept Hillsdale County elections with wide margins.

The Hillsdale County Clerk’s Office reported 23,433 registered voters in the county participated in Tuesday’s election, which is 61.67% turnout. 

President Donald Trump carried the county, receiving 17,037 (74.16%) votes, followed by former Democratic candidate Joe Biden with 5,883 (25.26%). This is one of the most decisive victories for any presidential candidate since 2008 according to the Hillsdale County Clerk’s Office.

In the State Representative race, Republican Andrew Fink received 16,602 votes (74.03%) to his Democratic opponent Tamara Barnes’ 5,823 (25.97%).

After receiving the unofficial results, Fink posted on his Facebook page, “Thank you, 58th District, for voting and making me your next state representative! I’m ready to GET TO WORK.”

In the district court race, Megan Stiverson defeated her opponent Brendan Sanger by a wide margin of 10,443 (60.7%) to 6,760 (39.3%) votes. 

Megan Stiverson thanked her supporters on her campaign’s Facebook page just prior to the final results, saying, “Your support throughout this campaign and the insightful and meaningful conversations I’ve had, as well as words of encouragement, have led to great results. God bless.”

In the city of Hillsdale, Robert L. Socha won a tight race for the Ward 4 city council seat, receiving 388 votes to Penny Swan’s 335. Socha will replace Councilman Matthew Bell. Socha will be joined by incumbents Tony Vear, Cynthia L. Pratt, and Bruce Sharp, who all ran unopposed in their respective wards. 

In a statement to the Hillsdale Daily News, Socha said, “I want to thank everyone who took the time to vote, especially those in Ward 4, I am honored to have been chosen and pledge to serve our city well.”

In the Hillsdale County Sheriff race, Republican Scott Hodshire received 17,149 (76.78%) votes compared to his Democratic challenger Wesley Ludeker’s 5,187 (23.22%) votes.