Megan Stiverson, a local court admin­is­trator, is running for the Hillsdale County dis­trict court.

Hillsdale native Megan Stiverson, a Hillsdale County family court referee and juvenile court admin­is­trator, is running for dis­trict court judge. 

“I was born and raised here in Hillsdale County so my run means some­thing to me,” Stiverson said.

Except for her time in college, Stiverson has spent her whole adult life in the Hillsdale and Jonesville areas. After a semester of law school, she and her husband found out they were expecting their first child and moved back to Hillsdale.

“This is where we wanted to be anyway,” Stiverson said. “We wanted to be sur­rounded by our family and friends and live in the com­munity, so I haven’t left since.”

Stiverson has worked for current probate judge Michelle Bianchi for four years. Bianchi said she doesn’t have any hes­i­tation about Megan’s fitness for the job of dis­trict court judge. 

“She will be thoughtful, she will be kind, and will be stern when she needs to be,” Bianchi said. 

Stiverson said she prides herself on her com­mitment to fairness and impar­tiality. She said that although people have been upset with her deci­sions in the past, she doesn’t believe anyone could walk away feeling treated unfairly. 

Stiverson’s husband, who works in the Hillsdale County Sheriff’s Office, is some­times called as a witness in a case, a con­flict in which Stiverson’s com­mitment to fairness and impar­tiality comes into play. She said it comes down to, “knowing when, in the interest of fairness, I should remove myself from a case.”

Stiverson said it’s important for voters to con­sider how their can­didate has served the public prior to the election. 

“I’m the only can­didate that’s running that has served in really all capac­ities,” she said. 

She has done private work as an attorney, an admin­is­trator, and is cur­rently a judicial official. “I’ve been serving in a judicial capacity for the last three years so to me this felt like a natural pro­gression toward actually running for an elected judicial position,” Stiverson said.

Sti­versen empha­sized the necessity of sep­a­rating judicial rulings from per­sonal opinions. “You have to be able to make deci­sions in the law that may con­flict with your per­sonal belief,” she said. 

Stiverson expressed the hard­ships of running during the pan­demic. “Cam­paigning during COVID-19 has really been a downer,” Stiverson said. “We should be getting ready for the fair, we should be sitting at the fair, and I should be walking around and shaking hands and talking to the people,” Stiverson said. 

But, she added her kids didn’t mind it.

“They did a lot of walking for me so if you asked them if it was fun, they would probably say, ‘Well, con­di­tioning was good for fall sports,’” Stiverson said.

Stiverson said she wants voters to know she is acces­sible at any time. “I want people to know who I am as a person,” she said. She keeps her per­sonal phone number on her Facebook page, and per­sonally answers most of the mes­sages she receives through the page.

“People can call me or text me at any point in time,” she said. “I love having com­munity conversations.”