10 tips to work/study from home

Home Features 10 tips to work/study from home
10 tips to work/study from home
Hillsdale graduates are now going through the process of applying to and studying with Teachers for Tomorrow, a teacher certification program helping prospective teachers obtain their certification. Pexels

As COVID-19 spreads, most of the country is forced to stay at home. Since the country is under a strict lockdown, students are now encouraged to stay at home in order to help restrict the spread of the virus. We are all new to the study-at-home lifestyle, so it’s time to change some habits and establish routines. As summer session courses begin soon, here are 10 tips to make your time at home more productive and successful.

1. Prioritize a good night’s sleep

Getting consistent sleep is the best way to refresh the brain and prepare for a busy day of work. Although it may be tempting to stay up late to study or relax, it’s actually more beneficial to get enough rest.

1. Create a morning routine and stick with it

Decide when you want to start your school day, and try to keep that time consistent throughout the week. It helps if you know when “school” time starts because it forces you to set an alarm and actually get out of bed before noon.

1. Set ground rules with people around you

Make sure to talk to the other people in your house about what the house rules are in respect to places to work or quiet times. It is easier to plan out the day if you know when there are blocks of time that will be more productive.

1. Find a study spot 

Whether it’s your kitchen table or the desk in your bedroom, try to create an area to study that is your designated study zone. Most importantly, make sure to keep your study space organized so you can put more time into studying and less time just trying to find a certain assignment.

1. Schedule reasonable breaks

Taking periodic breaks from studying, especially screen time, is not only important for your health, but also for productivity. Get up and try walking around the house or possibly catch some fresh air outside for a few minutes. 

1. Create a timetable

Creating a timetable helps organize your day and schedule your breaks. Set reasonable limits for how much time you want to spend on school per day, and then break your studying into manageable pieces.

1. Make to-do lists

Schedule your day by breaking work into three different categories: assignments that have to be completed that day, study material, and larger projects you need to keep working on. A master list with bigger projects and their respective due dates written out helps create a sense of long-term organization.

1. Take notes

As an online student, you’re probably now watching pre-recorded lectures on your computer. Take advantage of the convenience of being able to rewind and play it again as a way to take more detailed notes.

1. Practice active studying

Active studying means asking yourself thought-provoking questions before, during, and after study time. It really helps to make sure you’re engaged in the time you’re spending reading and not just daydreaming. 

1. Reward yourself

Don’t forget to reward yourself for all your hard work. This gives you something to look forward to and helps strengthen your motivation to work productively.