Head volleyball coach clinches 500th win

Home News Homepage - News Head volleyball coach clinches 500th win
Charger Volleyball honored Coach Gravel for leading the team to their 500th win. NEEDPIX | COURTESY

With Charger volleyball’s win during their conference tournament game on Tuesday night came a major career milestone for head coach Chris Gravel.

The win marked Gravel’s 500th victory over his 24 year career as coach of Hillsdale volleyball. 

The team celebrated Gravel’s achievements with a framed picture of the team that said “500 Career Wins,” and an ornament for both him and his associate head coach, Stephanie Gravel. The team also sang a song called “The 12 Weeks of the Season” set to the tune of “The 12 Days of Christmas.” The song lyrics detailed everything Coach Gravel did for his players throughout the season until the last line.

“On the twelfth week of season we gave to Coach, his 500th win!”

Gravel said he was surprised by the gesture and feels truly blessed.

“I really wasn’t expecting much except an acknowledgement and some congratulations,” Gravel said. “The team could not have made this 500th win more special for both associate head coach Stephanie and me. It was really cool to look up in the stands and see all those signs.”

Junior middle hitter Allyssa Van Wienen said the team is very proud of their coach. 

“Five hundred wins is a very impressive feat. Being on the team, we know that he is so well-deserving of that accomplishment and feel honored to be a part of it,” Van Wienen said. “Coach and Steph have done so much for us so we are thankful to have the opportunity to show just a small piece of our appreciation by making that day memorable for him.”