Students to run Maker’s Market

Home Culture Students to run Maker’s Market
Students to run Maker’s Market
SAB will be holding a Maker’s Market | Wikimedia Commons

The Student Activities Board is putting together Hillsdale College’s first Maker’s Market this Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. 

“The Maker’s Market is essentially like a student version of a farmers’ market,” SAB Promotions Team Leader Ian Brown said. “It’s for students and people who are associated with the college that if they have fun crafts or they bake stuff and want to sell it, they can.” 

The event will take place in front of Central Hall, but if it rains, the market will be relocated to the colonnade in front of the library. Students can sign up as vendors by submitting the form linked on the SAB newsletter. 

“One of the new members for SAB really thought it would be a good idea to bring a farmers market to Hillsdale,” Small Events Team Leader Claire Lupini said. 

Sophomore Reagan Linde, a member of SAB’s creative team, said she came up with the idea when she was inspired by other farmers’ markets and wanted to bring that to campus.

“Last spring we met as an SAB team to come up with unique events to do during the next school year. As I was thinking through events, I kept thinking about my local farmers market and about how much I love the local vendors — crepe-makers, kombucha-brewers, handmade soaps, etc.,” Linde said. “I thought that the Maker’s Market at Hillsdale would be a great opportunity to hold a farmers’-market-esque event to really showcase the talents of the student body.”

Originally, Linde said she thought about partnering with the City of Hillsdale’s farmers’ market, but now she said she’s excited to have this be a student-based event. 

“I am so excited to see what the students have come up with. It’s a great way to bring a taste of city life onto campus for students who haven’t made their way to the local market,” she said. “It should be a great way to spend your Saturday morning.”

There are currently 15 vendors registered, but people can still sign up through the SAB newsletter. All of the proceeds from the Maker’s Market will go directly to the vendors for selling their own goods. Payments can be made with cash, and some vendors will accept Venmo.