Staff Profile: Josephine Von Dohlen, City News Editor

Home Study Break Staff Profile: Josephine Von Dohlen, City News Editor

Josephine Von Dohlen is the City News Editor of the Collegian. (Courtesy)

She is not only a sister to the many girls in the Chi-Omega sorority. She is an older sister to eight younger siblings, including her newly born sister, Rosemary. She is Josephine Von Dohlen.

This year’s Collegian City News editor hails from Minneapolis, Minnesota. Josephine is majoring in American studies, with a minor in journalism.

Josephine became involved in the Collegian during the second semester of her freshman year.

“I did a lot of theater productions and public speaking events in high school, and lots of people told me I’d grow up to be a news anchor. I think I got a little more introverted in college, and so I thought I might like writing for the newspaper rather than speaking on TV. I knew I had to go to the Collegian office and just pick up a story, but I didn’t know where it was my first semester, and I didn’t want to go alone,” Von Dohlen said.

Thankfully, Josephine worked up the courage to find the Collegian office and get involved. After writing her first story about the Hillsdale Hospital, she has been a steady contributor to the paper, writing a story nearly every week. The Collegian’s community is a major reason for her joining the staff.

“I chose the community because each of the editors that I worked with were so kind and patient to teach me how to write for news, and I admired them so much,” she said.

The community of Hillsdale as a whole is also her favorite part of the college. She says she is blessed by the influences her friends, Chi-Omega sorority sisters, professors, and fellow journalists have contributed to making her the woman she is today.

Outside of the Collegian office, Josephine enjoys photography, especially taking pictures of other people.

“I really love taking pictures of people. It’s just a lot of fun. I think one of the best compliments I’ve received is when  someone told me that I helped her feel beautiful. I was like, yes! That’s why I’m doing this,” Von Dohlen said.

Traveling is another one of Josephine’s favorite hobbies. Her favorite trip she has taken so far was in January  2018, when she went to Israel for a journalism trip.

“We got a great fast course in education about the history of Israel, as well as the religious significance. I had the best time,” Von Dohlen said. “I got to write a feature story about a group of consecrated women in Magdala, Israel, who remind women around the world of their dignity by bringing hope through healing. Going to Israel is probably one of my favorite highlights of my life so far.”

Josephine also enjoyed  a Theology of the Body class with Nathan Schlueter, professor of theology and religion. She called it the “best class ever.”

“I didn’t take this class for my major, or for my minor, I took it just because I thought the information would be good for life. We really learned the details of John Paul II’s teachings on humanity and it was really eye opening,” Von Dohlen said.

After completing her American Studies major and her career as a Collegian journalist, Josephine is still undecided about what she’ll do, but has an open heart as to where she may go.

“I can see myself being a city reporter for awhile, but also going into communications for a nonprofit would be really fun,” she said. “I can see myself doing a lot of things, so I’ll just see what doors God opens.” .