Bag a prize over Spring Break

Home News Homepage - News Bag a prize over Spring Break
Bag a prize over Spring Break
During Spring Break, students have a chance to win prizes through the Hillsdale College Bookstore’s “Take Your Bag” competition. External Affairs

Take a bag  — and some photos — on Spring Break. During the 10 days off from school, students have a chance to win prizes through the Hillsdale College Bookstore’s “Take Your Bag” competition.

While the bookstore has put on the competition more than once in past years, this is the first time it has been done two years in a row.

For a chance to win a laptop traveler bag, a wireless speaker, or wireless stereo speakers, students can take photos of a bookstore shopping bag at their spring-break destination. Angie Berry, trade book coordinator at the bookstore, said students in past competitions have gotten creative with their photos, like filling their bag with sand at the beach and taking a photo while a wave washed over the bag.

“It doesn’t have to be anywhere fancy,” Berry said. “One person took it to the opera and took a picture of the bag on a ledge with the red curtain in the background.”

One student took the bag skiing, Berry said, and yet another held it while surfing.

“The idea is be creative and do something fun with it,” she said.

The judges this year are Associate Dean of Men Jeffrey Rogers, Professor of Art Barbara Bushey, and Professor of History Tom Connor. Berry said they try to involve different faculty every time they do the competition.

“It’s kind of a community thing,” she said. “Our overall goal is to help the students and support them. This is a way to work together.”

“On Wednesday or Thursday, after you have an opportunity to rest, go somewhere interesting, and take a bag, do something interesting with it, and take a photo. People take photos all the time.” Bushey said, and added that the bookstore provides any materials she requests.

On returning from Spring Break, students can bring a printed copy to the bookstore or send the photo in an email to aberry@hillsdale.edu. Photos must be submitted by March 29.  The entry must include the photographer’s name, the location and date that the photo was taken, and the names of anyone included in the picture, according to a brochure provided by the bookstore. The pictures do not need to include a person.

While there are prizes for first, second, and third place, Berry said she will display all submitted photos in the bookstore. The winners will be announced on April 1.