Chargers fall to Albion after dropping dual meet

Home Charger Swimming Chargers fall to Albion after dropping dual meet
(Photo: Hillsdale College Athletics)

The Hillsdale Chargers fell to Albion in a road meet on Saturday with a score of 119-86. 

Senior Anika Ellingson placed first in both the 100 individual medley with a time of 1 minute, 4.13 seconds, and the 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:28.20. 

Sophomore Katherine Heeres and Senior Suzanne DeTar had a first place win each. Heeres took first in the 200 freestyle with a time of 2:00.50 while DeTar took first in the 50 freestyle coming in at 25.78. 

“We just need to keep plugging along and working hard until it comes time for some rest,” said Heeres, “I think the same goes for me personally. I have a lot of big goals for this season and I need to remember not to get too wrapped up in those and just stay in the moment and in the training.” 

Junior Catherine Voisin set a personal record in the 1000 freestyle at 11:25.87, which earned her second place in the race. 

“It was great to swim a best time in an off event this early in the season,” said Voisin. “The 1000 isn’t a particularly enjoyable event, but doing well and knowing that I helped the team makes it worth it.”

Junior Bailey Bickerstaff also earned a second place finish in the 200 backstroke with a time of 2:13.57. This time was only a half-second shorter than her own personal record. 

Senior Grace Houghton added another second place finish in the 500 freestyle with a time of 5:30.36, as well as a third place finish in the 200 butterfly in which she finished with a time of 2:13.86. 

“I think the challenge for the team will be keeping our eyes set on the long term goal even when we’re disappointed with losses,” Houghton said. “At Chicago, we’re really going to be set up for some best times, especially with the freshman class, and seeing those numbers on the board and the smiles on the girls’ faces will make us forget these in-season losses.”

Freshmen Madeline Breay added two third place finishes and Stefanie Walker added another. Breay finished the 1000 freestyle in 11:28.83 and the 200 backstroke in 2:36.71, while Walker finished the 500 freestyle in 5:35.06. Heeres took third in the 200 backstroke with a time of 2:14.13. 

The 200 medley relay A-team (Bickerstaff, Ellingson, Freshman Anna Clark, and Junior Victoria Addis) took second with a time of 1:53.51. The Chargers A-team in the 200 free relay (sophomore Mary Vita, sophomore Emma Rao, Addis and DeTar) also took second with a time of 1:42.54.

“We have been struggling with injury having several of our top individual swimmers either restricted or out completely,” head coach Kurt Kirner said. “We did not match up well with Albion as we were coming off a tough week of practice and another meet the night before. We are certainly gearing our efforts towards the mid season invites and GMAC Championships which are still several months away.”