Sophomore Sutton Dun­woodie at Pine­hurst over spring break. (Photo: John Quint | Courtesy)

The Hillsdale golf team traveled to Lex­ington, Ken­tucky, to play in the Saginaw Valley State Uni­versity Spring Invi­ta­tional at the Kearney Hill Golf Links over the weekend. It placed 10th with a team score of 589, 19 strokes off the winning 570 shot by the host team, SVSU.

Senior Liam Purslowe started strong with a four-under 68 on Friday and fin­ished the tour­nament with a three-under 141, his career low over 36 holes. The low finish was an exciting takeaway from the tour­nament, but it didn’t come as a sur­prise to his teammates.

“He can go low like that every week,” sophomore Sutton Dun­woodie said. “A lot of guys on the team can. It’s just nice to see someone do it.”

For Purslowe, it was important to get a quick start in the first event of the spring.

“Only being three back of the leader and having a career-low 36-hole tour­nament was a real con­fi­dence boost for the spring,” Purslowe said. “I hit the ball solid, but I just didn’t make the putts that I needed to in the second round to have a chance of winning.”

The Chargers fol­lowed in order: junior Andy Grayson (+3), senior Joe Torres (+5), senior Steve Sartore (+10), and sophomore Sutton Dun­woodie (+11). Despite the overall finish, the team took away several pos­i­tives as they gear up for a tour­nament next Monday and Tuesday back in Kentucky.

“I feel con­fident about what we need to achieve as a team in the coming weeks,” Purslowe said. “The guys have been working hard and hope­fully that hard work will be reflected in our scores.”

Torres said he sees room for improvement, hoping to see a strong bounce back after an under­whelming opening.

“Forthe  next tour­nament, we’ve been preparing all week and are going a day earlier to better prepare. We’re feeling very con­fident with our team. Having played the course last year, we have some expe­rience here. It’s very important for us to have a good showing this week, which would most likely be a top 3 finish,” Torres said.

Purslowe will be missing the next tour­nament, so most of the scoring burden will be spread to the other members.

“It will be exciting to see how the team pro­gresses. Without Liam, we’ll have dif­ferent guys stepping up, and it will be inter­esting to see who goes low this week,” Dun­woodie said. “The course will be a lot harder. I think it’s a better course than the one we played at last week, so it should be a good challenge.”