Delts, dough, and donations: Delts raise money for diabetes research

Home News Delts, dough, and donations: Delts raise money for diabetes research
195 N Manning St is currently the home of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity. (Facebook)

After undergoing an entire semester of planning, Delta Tau Delta’s “Unbaked Sale” is anything but half-baked.

Delta Tau Delta fraternity will be selli ng cookie dough for $1 in its annual “Unbaked Sale” on April 4 and 5 during meal hours in the Grewcock Student Union. The fundraiser will benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund, the fraternity’s national philanthropy.

According to Senior Peter O’Rourke, it’s the fraternity’s goal each semester to raise as much money as possible for JDRF. The Hillsdale chapter specifically has had members throughout the years who have Type 1 diabetes. This, he said, makes it personal.

“If by my efforts and the efforts of my brothers in Delta Tau Delta, someone else later down the line is able to be helped, it will have been more than worth it…” sophomore Peter Takach, currently suffering from Type 1 diabetes, said. “If I can do something that can help to actively stop the disease in the future, not only do I want to do that, but I feel as though I have the responsibility to do so.”

Delta Tau Delta raised around $400 last semester through events like the Unbaked Sale. Since 2012, their national fraternity has raised over $1 million for Type 1 diabetes research. O’Rourke said they always hope to make a 2:1 ratio of money, as to be efficient with the amount in their philanthropy budget, and they have been hitting that mark for a while.

The idea was originally brought up in discussing about how to run a bake sale for an event. One of us mentioned selling cookie dough instead of making the cookies.

“The Unbaked Sale has been a favorite of ours for some time now because it’s a lot of fun and campus really seems to like it as well,” O’Rourke said. “It’s been so successful that we’ve made it a staple of what we do for philanthropy.”