City plans first-ever Easter egg hunt

Home City News City plans first-ever Easter egg hunt
City plans first-ever Easter egg hunt
The Easter Bunny is coming to Hillsdale for the first time. Wikimedia Commons | Courtesy

The Easter bunny will make its first appearance on the Hillsdale courthouse lawn Saturday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. As part of the Hillsdale Business Association’s first annual Easter event, children can collect eggs to exchange for candy and gift baskets, take a picture with the Easter bunny, and support local businesses.

“We’ve been wanting to do something like this for awhile,” said Andrew Gelzer, member of the HBA and event organizer. “There’s not a lot going on downtown this time of the year, so we thought we’d take a whack at it.”

Local businesses plan to contribute to the event through promotions and booths on the lawn; other sponsors include Smith’s Flowers, the Hillsdale Natural Grocery store, and the Filling Station, among others. Small Town Sweet Boutique owner Danielle Brock will provide the candy with funding from the HBA.

“Each kid can pick up 10 eggs, which they can bring to the gazebo to exchange for candy and prizes,” Gelzer said. Adults can also buy raffle tickets for a “giant basket” provided by Gelzer’s hardware store, Brock said.

Gelzer and Brock have been scheming to get their 1000 eggs into the hands of local Easter egg hunters.

“It sounds like a lot,” Brock said. “But we wanted to make sure that kids got good candy — Airheads, candy ropes — not just a Tootsie Roll in each egg or something.”

The Easter bunny will also make his way from his temporary headquarters in the police office to take pictures with victorious hunters.

“We wanted to make it a safe event for the kids, where they can get some good candy and have fun,” Brock said.