How to do Spring Break without breaking the bank

Home Study Break How to do Spring Break without breaking the bank

Looking to do Spring Break on a college student budget? Break begins on March 2 this year, so now is the time to start planning.

Here are five destinations that will get you away from campus, but won’t have you breaking into that late-night pizza budget.

Northwestern Michigan Road Trip

Leland (Facebook)

The Northwestern shores of Lake Michigan are nothing short of spectacular. They can also be toured on the cheap, with plenty of activities that barely cost a dime. Visit Ludington, famous for its ice cream shop World of Flavors, and Leland, known for the old school charm of its Fishtown. Don’t miss Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, which offers camping and picnic areas as well as a slew of outdoor activities. For those with a slightly higher budget, Traverse City offers a great restaurant and bar scene as well as a variety of museums.

Louisville, Kentucky

Churchill Downs Racetrack (Wikipedia)

Drive from Hillsdale: 4.5 hours
Louisville sits on the Ohio River about 100 miles southwest of Cincinnati, Ohio. As Kentucky’s largest city, it offers something for everyone. Into baseball? Hit the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory to learn how the legendary baseball bats are made. Churchill Downs Racetrack and the Kentucky Derby Museum give you an inside look into the Kentucky Derby. For those 21 and older, the Kentucky Bourbon Trail offers tours of world-famous distilleries.

Dekalb County, Indiana

The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum (Wikimedia Commons)

Drive from Hillsdale: 1 hour and 15 minutes
If you are a lover of cars, history, and forgotten eras, Dekalb County is your spot. With three unique museums, this region of Indiana embraces its automotive history. The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum is home to over 120 classic cars. The museum is housed in the old art-deco world headquarters of the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Company. In the same museum complex is the National Automotive and Truck Museum. In a nutshell, if you like cars, you’ll like Dekalb County.

Grand Rapids, Michigan

Frederik Meijer Gardens (Wikimedia Commons)

Drive from Hillsdale: 2 hours
The second Michigan destination on the list is a mid-size city a short drive northwest of Hillsdale. In addition to a flourishing bar and restaurant scene, the coffee culture in Grand Rapids is quite impressive. Some of the local coffee joints offer roastery tours and coffee tastings. Make sure to visit the Frederik Meijer Gardens which will open their Butterflies in Bloom exhibit in March.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh (Wikimedia)

Drive from Hillsdale: 4.5 hours
For a chic city getaway less than a five hours away, check out Pittsburgh. It boasts all of the things one expects from a metropolitan area. From the Andy Warhol Museum to the Pittsburgh Zoo, the city offers something for everyone. Don’t miss the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, which offers both beautiful gardens and a steel and glass Victorian greenhouse. Though many activities in Pittsburgh can be a bit pricey, the short drive and cheap lodging options make this a viable, affordable trip.