Kappa Kupcake competition raises hundreds for children’s literacy

Home Campus Kappa Kupcake competition raises hundreds for children’s literacy
Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority held its annual Cupcake Wars to raise money for charity. Morgan Channels | Collegian

Tuesday night never tasted so sweet.

The Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority held its annual national philanthropy event, Kappa Kupcake Wars, raising $320 for Reading Is Fundamental, a national organization dedicated to supporting children’s literacy.

“Kappa Kupcake Wars has been an annual philanthropy tradition within our chapter,” Philanthropy Chair junior Katie Mersereau said. “It allows students to come together and bake, while providing tasty opportunities for the entire school to not only enjoy these creations but recognize the talents of their friends.”

The icing on the cake for this competition is the sweet taste of victory. Students vote for their favorites, and the winners claim baking bragging rights.

Sophomore Allie Dewire and freshmen Sydney Anderson and Bree Porter won most creative and best taste for their “Cat in the Hat”-inspired cupcakes. Best presentation went to junior Glynis Gilio and sophomores Erin Flaherty and Emily Holtyn.

Despite the competition falling on a day during Lent and many students having forfeited sugar until Easter, people from all parts of campus participated in the event.

KKG President junior Maria Theisen referred to the event as “accessible philanthropy” as it allows people to bake cupcakes on their own time and then drop them off at the event.

Senior Chris Pudenz, head resident assistant of Galloway Residence, teamed with the daughter of his adopted church family in Hillsdale. Together, the two created cupcakes inspired by the book “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.”

“Greeks have always been supportive of Galloway’s philanthropies during my time as head RA, and I thought that participating in Kupcake Wars would be a fun way to show some support in return,” Pudenz said. “It’s always cool to see the different ways that the student body comes together to raise funds for off-campus charities,” Pudenz said.  

Mersereau said her favorite part of the event every year is seeing the creativity of the final creations by all of the competitors.

“There are lots of opportunities to get involved and share our talents on campus, but baking is usually not one that is highlighted,” Mersereau said.