Meet Mary Ellen: Jilly Beans gets new owner

Home Big Grid - Home Meet Mary Ellen: Jilly Beans gets new owner

The exterior of Jilly Beans coffehouse, located in downtown Hillsdale. Facebook

Jilly Beans coffeehouse has a new owner and a new look.

The longtime downtown coffee house was put up for sale in late February after previous owner Jill Nichols decided to retire after nearly a decade of serving coffee. Toward the end of March, Hillsdale resident and frequent customer Mary Ellen purchased the business — transitioning from grabbing coffee on the run to running the business.

“When I saw that it was up for sale, I couldn’t have imagined a more perfect fit,” Ellen said.

A native of St. Clair County, Ellen moved to Hillsdale six years ago and said she immediately had the desire to be involved with a coffee shop in the community. It was during one of her trips to the farmer’s markets downtown where she discovered and fell in love with Jilly Beans.

“I’ve been enjoying it for the last six years,” Ellen said. “It feels over the top to now be a part of it.”

Since purchasing the business in late March, Nichols has been working alongside Ellen to teach her all elements of the business, ranging from making drinks to prepping food.

“Jill has been a wonderful mentor and teacher,” Ellen said. “The people are so patient and nice. It has been an easy transition so far.”

Nichols said she has been impressed with Ellen’s work.

“I’ve got confidence in her,” Nichols said.  “She’s going to be great.”
In February, Century 21 Drews owner Jim Drews listed the business for $89,000 — which included all furniture, existing inventory, and food service equipment.

“We’ve received and accepted one offer so far. It came in just a day or two of the listing being put on,” Drews said in Feburary. “The potential buyer is actually a long-time customer, which is kind of unique, that someone who was a frequent patron is now interested in making it their own.”

Ellen has started putting some of her own personal touches on the coffee shop since making the purchase, including fresh paint on the walls and artistic nature pictures from one of her favorite photographers, her sister, who lives in California.

In addition to some of the aesthetic changes, Ellen said she has added some more food options as well.

“Jill is sharing some of her recipes with me so I’ll be able to keep that level of service as far as the food goes,” Ellen said. “It’s currently sustainable, but I hope to add some things to the menu. We’ve had great reception for our new greek salad, and we hope to serve up some fresh fruit in the summer too.”

A favorite study spot for Hillsdale students, Ellen said the coffeehouse will soon also be open on Sundays to accommodate their studies and homework.

In the future, Ellen plans to add some personal touches to the “secret garden” patio area behind the business, adding landscape and other knick knacks. But overall, Ellen said she wants to just maintain the great reputation that Nichols built.

“I want to maintain the level of excellence, and I want to become more a part of this community,” Ellen said. “I want to invite people through the doors. They’ve been so pleasant and they make it a good experience.”

Jilly Beans will have a grand re-opening on Saturday, April 29, and will also be open for the first time on Sunday, April 30. Nichols said she will be retiring towards the end of the month and that she’ll miss the time she has spent at the store.

“I’m ready for the next phase. It hasn’t really sunk in yet, but it’s good,” Nichols said. “I’ll miss talking to the people and getting to hear their stories.”