Men’s and women’s track finish second at GVSU

Home Charger Track and Field Men’s and women’s track finish second at GVSU
This Saturday, sophomore Tanner Schwannecke reached the provisional standard in the 800-meter run for the second time this season. (Photo: Evan Carter / Hillsdale Collegian)

Hillsdale College’s men’s and women’s track and field squads both came in second behind Grand Valley State University at the Mike Lints Alumni Open hosted at Grand Valley on Saturday, Jan. 28. The men scored a total of 69 points, while the women scored 83.25 with a total of 12 provisional marks.

Head coach Andrew Towne, however, didn’t notice or care about this outcome, because he was focused on everything coming together across the event groups. He said the athletes train in practice and at meets in such a way as to peak at the conference or national meet.

“When you do stuff like that, you’re not putting importance on the team score,” Towne said. “I didn’t notice [the scores] until Monday. We’re just trying to get certain things done and keep progressing.” 

That is exactly what the Chargers did.

Junior Colby Clark, previous All-American, won the 400-meter dash with a time of 48.12 — his indoor best. This time also earned him the 11th rank on the national list.

“I’m really excited because last indoor season I couldn’t put a mark up on the national list, so it’s good to be back, since I was there my freshman year,” Clark said. “I think training this year has been very smart and conservative and, as a result of that, I feel way better than I did any time last year.”

Sophomore Tanner Schwannecke reached the provisional standard in the 800 meter for the second time this season, running a 1:53.69. He is currently ranked 22nd in the event.

Senior Caleb Gatchell, two time All-American, won the men’s mile and met provisional standard with a time of 4:11.76, which was just milliseconds off his personal record. He is now ranked 16th nationally.  

Junior Jared Schipper, another two time All-American, placed second in the pole vault with a height of 16 feet, 5.25 inches, improving on his mark from his performance at Michigan State University and his national ranking. Schipper now sits in the no. 5 spot on the list for the national meet.

Senior captain Ty Etchemendy, also a two time All-American, jumped 47 feet, 8 inches in the triple jump, placing fourth at the meet and 18th on the national list.

The women’s squad also continued to improve times and rankings with seven provisional marks of their own.

In the 400-meter, both senior Allison Duber and junior Tori Wichman made provisional times.  Duber, two time All-American, ran a time of 56.79 — her season best — and placed fourth. She is currently ranked 24th nationally.

Wichman, previous All-American, continued to improve and impress this weekend. She secured the fourth spot on the national list with her time of 55.62, which is also her personal best. Wichman made it on the national list at Michigan State University two weeks ago but has moved up in ranking with her performance at Grand Valley.

“I’m grateful for the more solid 400 time but looking at previous years, that time still isn’t guaranteed to get in so I still want to run faster just to make sure I’m in nationals and I always want to get better,” Wichman said. “We’re going to start tapering pretty hard, so that makes me confident, because we’re going to have more energy and endurance saved up.”

Junior Hannah McIntyre, a national meet veteran with three All-American awards to show for it, also reached the provisional standard with her performance in the women’s 5000-meter. She ran a 17:06.05, her season best. McIntyre now occupies the eighth spot on the national list.

The women’s four by 400 meter relay won the meet with their provisional time of 3:50.72. It was run by junior Ashlee Moran, freshman Lorina Clemence, Duber, and Wichman. Hillsdale’s relay team — All-American in the event the past two years — is now ranked 11th in the nation.

“We’re definitely going to have to run faster to get in,” Wichman said. “That time will not hold up towards the end of the year but I do believe that every single girl is capable of running faster and with this taper we’re about to show some really great times.”

Senior Alex Whitford also vaulted the provisional standard height of 12 feet, 3.5 inches this weekend, but is ranked sixth in the nation for her performance at the first meet of the season at Saginaw Valley State University.

In the weight throw, Hillsdale took first and second with two provisional marks and two season bests from senior, captain Dana Newell and junior Rachael Tolsma. Both earned All-American titles in the event last year and are set to repeat. Newell threw 60 feet, 9.5 inches and is ranked 11th nationally, while Tolsma sits at 15th with her throw of 59 feet, 2.75 inches.

The Chargers are preparing to host the annual Wide Track Classic, which will welcome four of the top five teams in NCAA Division II, along with many others. Facility records will undoubtedly be broken by some of the elite athletes that will be in attendance. Towne anticipates this meet to develop into a national meet preview in coming years. 

“We have been very aggressive in adding to the quality of this meet,” Towne said. “We know what we have and we know what we have to offer teams both as a facility and with resources.”

The advantage of having this meet at home is immeasurable for Hillsdale track and field and will take place in the Margot V. Biermann Athletic Center Feb. 3 and 4.