coach-stargell-williams
Stargell Williams joined the track and field coaching staff this fall. (Photo: Stargell Williams / Courtesy)

The track team’s new throws coach has only been on campus for a couple of months, but said he expects many of the ath­letes in his training group to earn All-American honors this indoor and outdoor track season.

“I’d like to build a good base of being tech­nical, but also being com­pet­itive,” Throws Coach Stargell Williams said. “I also want them to perform well at our big meets which are con­ference and nationals and be All-Americans.” 

Head Track Coach Andrew Towne said he inter­viewed a number of potential throws coaches this summer after former throws coach Janine Kuestner announced her departure from the team in early June. Towne liked Williams’ per­son­ality because he felt Williams is per­sonable and would help the team recruit. Williams’ first day was in September.

“So far, the ath­letes seem to be responding pretty well,” Towne said. “We’re excited that we got him.”

After com­peting as a shot put and discus thrower for two years at a com­munity college in Kansas, Williams trans­ferred to Florida State Uni­versity where he com­peted for two more indoor and outdoor seasons. While on FSU’s track team, Williams placed second in shot put at the ACC con­ference meet his junior year and qual­ified for the NCAA Division‑I East Regional Meet both his junior and senior seasons.

Williams grad­uated from FSU in 2015 with a degree in sports man­agement and for the next year served as an assistant track coach at FSU.

Williams said he was attracted to Hillsdale’s coaching staff because they are laid back, but still com­mitted to running a com­pet­itive program.

“I come from an elite program and I figure this is a great place to start my career,” Williams said. “I saw from my interview that I really gelled with the coaching staff and was able to be myself. They’re all pretty laid back, but they’re about business and they want to be great.”