We’re 9th in the Nation: Thank You

Home Opinion We’re 9th in the Nation: Thank You

Aug. 31 was a good day. Not only did classes begin and the first issue of The Collegian’s 140th year come out, but we got news that The Collegian is the ninth best college newspaper in the United States.

What made the news even more special, however, was learning that we got there because of you.

The Princeton Review ranked colleges in 62 different categories based upon survey information gathered from students throughout the year. One of the questions asked you to evaluate your student newspaper.

In ninth place, we found ourselves above Yale University and among other Ivy League institutions.

It makes knowing that the hours we spend every week thinking up story ideas, chasing down sources, writing pieces, taking photos, editing articles, and laying out our pages are worth it.

So, thank you.

But we couldn’t do what we love doing, if it weren’t for you, sharing your story suggestions, writing op-eds, taking the time to interview with us, and reading our pages every Thursday. Give yourself a pat on the back, as well.

With a new year and new staff, however, we don’t want to disappoint. In fact, we want to do better than ninth place next year.

But we need your help. If you have an idea for something that we should cover, a question you want answered, or a point of view you think is not being represented, let us know. The contact information for our staff is directly to the left of this editorial. Use it, and we will do our best to serve you. The Collegian is committed to this campus and community.

Thanks again for all of your support, Hillsdalians. We look forward to making our 140th year the best with you.