Unlocking iOS devices would threaten US security

Home Opinion Unlocking iOS devices would threaten US security

iphone_hack-580x386

The FBI’s insistence on a backdoor software solution on Apple’s iOS devices will cause potentially catastrophic problems for both the United State government and hundreds of millions of Americans.

There is an ongoing battle between Apple and the FBI regarding the mass unlocking of iPhones. Whether or not you believe in civil liberties, the idea of a “backdoor” or “master key” is troublesome, as it creates a slew of both basic and complex internet security problems.

First off, one might think that this editorial isn’t necessary considering the recent news that the FBI was able to get into the San Bernardino shooter’s phone. But as an avid computer and Information Technology nut, I believe that the case was solved through a technique called NAND mirroring.

This high-tech process involves making backup copies of the phone’s memory, so the information could be quickly restored if the device slows down or attempts to wipe the data after 5 or 10 failed password attempts. Basically, this process requires the FBI to use algorithms and programs that would spend days, perhaps even weeks, to guess the correct password. The NAND chip would be removed from the iPhone and placed in a chip reader which would copy the contents of the memory. The agents would then create as many backups as needed. In this case, likely hundreds or thousands. The original chip would be reattached to the phone with a harness. After 10 failed attempts, instead of being out of luck, the FBI would simply insert a backup and continue on trying.

This is a lengthy process and would only be worthwhile for the most intense of investigations. And this method will only work on older iPhones. Starting with the iPhone 5S, all new iPhones’ internal memory have utilized a method known as “secure enclave” which basically prevents the NAND chip from being copied.

The FBI realizes the near impossibility of breaking into newer iPhone models. They have asked Apple to create a forensics “backdoor” that would give the FBI a key and software that would enable any iPhone to be broken into in less than 20 or 30 movements. Of course, this request has been controversial. Those concerned with preserving civil liberties accuse the FBI of being “fascist” and “Orwellian.” The FBI’s supporters call Apple’s supporters “ideological” and “apathetic.” But the one group who understand internet security are being ignored, and this is worrisome. I, like the majority of people involved in internet security, contend that no backdoor should ever be created. This is not just a civil liberties issue, but a national security issue.

The FBI is asking for a backdoor, a “master key.” As John McAfee, cybersecurity legend, pointed out on CNN’s Quest Means Business: “There has yet to be a backdoor or master key in software that has yet to be hacked in over a couple of weeks.”

Basically, creating a master key in Apple’s software would give way to a massive target that would threaten the federal government and every American possessing an Apple device. There is simply no way this master key would be kept in secret by just Apple and the FBI. As the federal government knows too well, leaks and hacks happen often. Every month or so, another agency is compromised online, be it at the hands of hackers, cyberterrorists, or foreign governments.
A master key that unlocks over 94 million phones, providing personal details, credit card information, and countless other private information regarding American citizens would instantly become the target for foreign countries and terrorists. ISIS or China would be able to access one iPhone instantly, by hacking the master-key. If China or another foreign country hostile to America were to hack this master key, they would be able to wreck the financial markets, spy on citizens, and ultimately destroy the American internet.
Such a measure as the FBI proposes would ultimately create the United States of America’s largest national security threat.
Ultimately, Americans should be concerned with our internet security. Americans must be wary of the FBI’s requests. While defeating ISIS should be a national priority, Americans must not let the government create situations that can and will lead to greater harm and troubles for its citizens.
Instead of looking at this issue as a matter of Democrats versus Republicans or libertarians versus statists, everyone needs to look at this issue as what it really is: complex internet security. And by doing so, come to the inevitable conclusion that the FBI is wrong. Fight on, Apple, fight on.