Golf places 11th at GLIACs

Home Sports Golf places 11th at GLIACs
Golf places 11th at GLIACs

golf teammates

The Hillsdale College golf team’s success stopped just short of Super Regionals as the Chargers struggled in the GLIAC Championship.
The Chargers finished tied for 11th with Wayne State in the 15-team tournament after a long weekend of golf in Nashport, Ohio. Tiffin University won the championship.
After the first day of play, sophomore co-captain Joe Torres led the tournament by three shots after shooting a 69. Torres ultimately finished tied for 12th with a three-day score of 226.
Freshmen Liam Purslowe and Andy Grayson both tied for 43rd with tournament scores of 234.
Together, freshmen Peter Beneteau and Joel Pietila finished tied for 58th after finishing with a final score of 240.
With perfect conditions for play, it seems that something else disrupted the streak of success the Chargers were enjoying, and that something else may have been the pressure of high expectations.
“I think the pressure of trying to win to get to the postseason did put a little extra stress on the players,” head coach Nate Gilchrist said. “They knew that we needed to win in order to qualify for the postseason and we played well in the first round to put us in a great position.”
Unfortunately, the team slipped from that great position over the next two rounds.
Nevertheless, Torres’ 69 was the second sub-70 score for the Chargers since their return to the varsity level in 2014. He says his score could have easily been lower still after 3-putting from within 12 feet on two holes in a row. But an eagle on the 10th hole, thanks to a shot from the trees to within six feet of the hole, made up for some missed putts.
“Joe has been playing very well this spring and I knew he was close to putting together a tremendous event with perhaps a chance to win,” Gilchrist said. “Joe works very hard on his game and is a great player. I think his second round score was mostly from being nervous with the lead.”
The three-day tournament was longer than those typically played by the Chargers. Grayson, the Chargers’ low-man on Saturday, noted that the conditioning over winter helped prepare the team but the course was “a tough walk” and the team was “all worn down by the last day.”
Purslowe and Pietila may still have a chance to qualify for the Super-Regionals as individuals, but the season is complete for the team.
Grayson predicts that the Chargers will improve going into next season.
“We will continue to contend and be better still. Everyone is making strides and know which parts of their game to work on over the summer,” Grayson said.
Torres finished as the Charger with the most sub-par holes throughout the season.
“I’m really proud of everyone on the team and all of the improvement, not just between this year and last, but even between the fall and spring seasons,” Torres said.
Thus the goal remains for next year: qualify for Super Regionals.
Over the summer, players will have a practice agenda to “turn weaknesses into strengths,” according to Gilchrist.
Both Grayson and Torres plan to compete in summer tournaments like the qualifier for the U.S. Amateur, which will be held in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, this year.
Gilchrist knows the wins are right around the corner.
“We have established a competitive, winning culture within the team that makes everyone better.”