Denver will win the Super Bowl

Home Sports Denver will win the Super Bowl
Denver will win the Super Bowl

The biggest spectacle of American sports is upon us, and the entire result hinges on one player: Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller.
Quite simply, the game will be decided by Carolina’s offense and the Broncos’ defense. Peyton Manning is a shadow of his former self, but he’s wily enough to put points on the board, especially in the forgiving California climate. Denver’s defensive unit was the best in the NFL this year, but if anyone can break down Von Miller and company, it’s Panthers quarterback Cam Newton.
Newton is a one-man wrecking ball. He can throw, run, and dance with devastating effectiveness. His 6’5” frame looms over opponents both physically and mentally. He’s relatively impervious to the pressure of big moments. It’s cliché, but the Broncos can’t stop Newton, though they may contain him.
That is where Miller enters the scene. He and Newton are inextricably linked. Newton was the first pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. Miller was the second pick. Miller is two inches shorter, but he is .02 seconds faster. When Newton peels off to run, Miller will be there waiting for him. When Newton drop backs to pass, Miller will be right in his face. And while the Carolina quarterback may be impervious to the mental pressure of big moments, he is vulnerable to the type of physical pressure Miller will apply all night long.
Newton’s quarterback rating drops significantly when facing pressure. The average NFL QB rating drops 27 points under pressure, whereas Newton’s drops by 53. Carolina’s sole loss this season was to an Atlanta Falcons defense that pressured Newton far more than the Panthers’ offensive line would have liked. Newton was only able to complete three passes over 10 yards that day. They will certainly face an assault from the Broncos’ defensive line and linebackers, who hit Tom Brady 17 times in the AFC championship game. Brady had been hit only once in the previous game against the Kansas City Chiefs.
Thousands of people will descend on Santa Clara, California, to witness what they hope will be a magical night on the magical coast. I have no vested interest in either team involved and the Carolina Panthers are a darn good football team. They have won 17 games this year and have lost just one. But those 17 wins will prove meaningless when they fall on Sunday night in the Silicon Valley.
It will be close, at first. As the game wears on, however, one name will grow in stature. More and more we will see a certain No. 58 in the middle of every pile. Look for him on big third downs, and on seemingly inconsequential first downs. Newton may dominate the pre-game coverage, and Manning may dominate the post-game, but Denver’s victory will be due mainly to one player who happens to have an impeccable taste in whiskey — Von Miller.