Simpson wins fifth straight homecoming

Home News Simpson wins fifth straight homecoming
Simpson wins fifth straight homecoming

For the fifth year in a row, Simpson Residence won the Hillsdale College Homecoming cup, competing with other dormitories and Greek houses throughout a series of Spirit Week competitions Oct. 19-24.

New to the schedule, the GOAL volunteering competition, in which teams competed to gain the most volunteer hours, spanned the entire week.

Teams earned points by dividing the total number of volunteer hours by the number of people in a residence hall. The off-campus house known as the Boardwalk and Koon Residence, the two smallest teams, took advantage of this, claiming first and second respectively.

On Monday, the banner contest kicked off the festivities. Simpson’s “Guardians of the Good” banner won first place, followed by Benzing Residence’s “Iron Lady” and Olds Residence’s “Metta Girls” banners.

On Tuesday, Simpson again claimed top spot in the Instagram video competition with a video directed by Simpson resident junior Josh Hamilton.

In Wednesday’s Wing Eating contest, each team participating chose a man and a woman to represent them.

The Suites, represented by Ian Gensler and Meri Didier, downed their wings first, followed by Sigma Chi and Pi Beta Phi.

The photo contest took place on Thursday. The Boardwalk, the only off-campus house to compete, took first place with a reenactment of “Washington Crossing the Delaware,” featuring Professor of History Mark Kalthoff.

Simpson took second place, followed closely by Kappa Kappa Gamma.

On Saturday, all competing teams built floats to participate in a parade that stretched from Central Hall to Muddy Waters Stadium.

Olds won the float contest. Staying true to its “vote for Metta” theme, the float featured the house mom of Olds dressed as Metta Olds, the woman for whom the dorm was named. Simpson and KKG received second and third respectively.

Mock Rock, the final competition of the week, in Biermann Athletic Center, consisted of choreographed dance routines to music mashups.

Teams choreographed three-minute dance routines to music mashups.

Alpha Tau Omega took third place, Chi Omega second, and Simpson first.