Former NFL player, now speaker, to share Christian testimony

Home News Former NFL player, now speaker, to share Christian testimony
(C.L. Shepherd/Courtesy of Shepherd)
(C.L. Shepherd/Courtesy of Shepherd)

Former professional football player C.L. Shepherd will come to Markel Auditorium on Wednesday to share an inspirational message with students.
The event, which is being hosted by the Sigma Chi pledge class in conjunction with JAG Industrial and Marine Services, features the testimony of Shepherd, who is recognized nationally for his motivational speaking and Christian testimony.
According to sophomore Tom Novelly, the philanthropy event is customary for each incoming pledge class.
“It’s a tradition that each pledge class throws a philanthropy event each year, and this is by far the most dynamic one we’ve had all year,” Novelly said. “Sigma Chi has matured from having pies thrown in their faces for charity to hosting a NFL football player to talk about the gospel and motivating young adult lives.”
Shepherd, who prefers to be called Shep, played football as a student at Florida Atlantic University. After graduating, Shep played in the NFL for both the Detroit Lions and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Shep eventually turned down a multimillion dollar contract to join the Fellowship of Christian Athletes as a chaplain.
Sigma Chi President junior Gregg Coughlin said he is excited to see Shep come to campus because of his background.
“I am fascinated by crazy and radical oddities in the world, and Shep is seemingly all of the above,” he said. “To work your way out of the projects, make it in the NFL, and then give up a chance for worldly success while still in the upswing of your career seems radical to me.”
This is not Shep’s first speech in Hillsdale. He gave a speech a couple years back in which he encouraged athletes to look beyond sports. This time, the speech will be open to all of campus. Freshman Sigma Chi pledge Nathan Putrich noted the event is expected to attract members from the broader Hillsdale community, including many churches in the area where the event has also been advertised.
“How often do you get to see a former NFL player and Super Bowl winner share about his spiritual journey and inspirational ideas?” Putrich said. “We all need a motivational push to finish strong near the end of the semester, and his message should definitely help us accomplish that.”
Coughlin said he believes Shep will connect well with attendees.
“Athletes will have a unique connection with Shep because he is someone who made it to the highest level of competition,” he said. “Intellectuals will have a unique connection with Shep because he has a degree, and also because he made it to the highest level of his field. And then he realized there is something more important in life than his job.”
Coughlin said he is excited to see Shepherd speak to the students.
“Shep’s message and example should be seen as an inspiration to devote your life wholly to what is good, true, and beautiful,” he said. “Also, when was the last time you saw an NFL player not named Veldheer or Holmes on Hillsdale’s campus?”