Volleyball players recognized with GLIAC honors

Home Sports Volleyball players recognized with GLIAC honors

Though the Hillsdale volleyball team didn’t achieve the record it was hoping for this season, several players were awarded All-GLIAC honors on Saturday night between conference semifinal matches at Grand Valley State University.

Junior right-side hitter Haylee Booms, who had her best season yet in 2014, was awarded with First-Team All-GLIAC honors for the first time. Another junior, team setter Marissa Owen, earned a spot on the All-GLIAC honorable mention list for her play this season. Finally, senior Lindsay Kostrzewa received Second-Team All-GLIAC honors.

Booms began the season by earning Player of the Week for the GLIAC South Division with her impressive hitting percentage in the first few games, boosted by no hitting errors. Booms finished the season with a whopping 208 kills, second-highest on the team. Only junior outside hitter Emily Wolfert racked up more kills, with 229 by season’s end. Booms holds the team-high hitting percentage, however, at .268. In the Chargers’ final five games this fall, Booms made 41 kills with only nine errors.

“It’s a big honor to be awarded First-Team All-GLIAC,” Booms said. “It’s also an affirmation that our record doesn’t reflect [our talent]. Our team works very hard, and although our record didn’t show it, I think having three people earn awards is proof that we did positive things this year.”

Owen, a team captain, had to lead in more ways that one this season. From the beginning, she was designated the team’s full-time setter in an offensive set-up it hadn’t used in recent years.  Her 917 assists make her fifth in assist totals in history of Charger volleyball. She also set a new career-high for blocks this season with 53. Like Booms, Owen is grateful for the award, but shows more concern for the status of the team than for her own accolades.

“I think as a team, we all would have liked to extend our season and still be playing. But overall, we did some good things this year that we want to build on for next year,” Owen said.

For Kostrzewa, team co-captain, this year’s award wasn’t her first. Kostrzewa has battled knee injuries since her freshman year when she was red-shirted because of them. Last year was the first season she was able to play all the way through and her perseverance was rewarded with First-Team All-GLIAC honors.

“It was definitely an honor to be given this recognition and for all of my hard work rehabbing and getting back on the court to pay off” Kostrzewa said of this year’s award.

Kostrzewa’s teammates share an admiration for her dedication to the team and to personal excellence.

“Lindsay has always been the perfect example of a Hillsdale College volleyball player. She always puts her best effort into everything,” Booms said. “She’s a source of inspiration for everyone and her positivity is contagious.”

The Chargers will suffer a loss with the graduation of their three seniors.

For now, the volleyball team takes a break from training until they return to school next semester. In January, the women will begin off-season training by reinstating practice and doing court, pool, and even snow workouts to stay in shape and prepare for a few tournaments in the spring.