Exploring Hillsdale: A guide to off-campus attractions

Home City News Exploring Hillsdale: A guide to off-campus attractions

The Palace Cafe

With servings fit for a king, the Palace is for breakfast lovers at any hour of the night. When you’re craving a midnight meal, The Palace’s convenient hours make it the perfect place to enjoy its Princess Platter Chocolate Chip Pancakes or an extra-filling breakfast bowl. Walking in, the charming atmosphere takes you back in time to an old-fashioned ice cream parlor or candy shop. The portions are exceptionally large, and the prices are pleasantly low.

Hillsdale County Farmers’ Market

Behind Hillsdale’s courthouse, the Farmers’ Market is a fun way to purchase fresh eggs, vegetables, fruits and meats, as well as homemade jellies and pies. In addition, locals sell handmade soaps, flowers, and jewelry. The vendors are kind and generous and always ready to chat with college students. Every college student should make the short trip down and experience what Hillsdale is all about.

Open every Saturday, May 17, through October 25, 8 a.m. to noon.

Coney’s & Swirls

Whether you prefer soft serve vanilla on a waffle cone or hot fudge brownie with ice cream on top, you’ll find a sweet treat on the massive menu at Coney’s & Swirls. This quaint little shop is the place to enjoy floats, smoothies, icees, shakes, or even a lunch of nachos, fries, and burgers. “Every day is a good day for ice cream” is the parlor’s motto. It certainly is when there’s a destination like Coney’s & Swirls to go in town.

Hillsdale Golf & Country Club

Hillsdale’s private, 9-hole golf course is a great location for socializing and fun competition to shake up a slow weekend. Located next to Baw Beese Lake, the scenery is a fantastic. The course is available to the public on Mondays for 9 and 18-hole play, and the green fees on the weekend are $22.

The Hunt Club

Whether it’s a burger, steak bites, deep fried pickle, or massive burrito, The Hunt Club’s menu has it. Students can sit back, relax, and enjoy anything beer-battered, deep-fried or grilled at this cozy, hometown pub. The popular Pony Burger is the condensed version of its original Hunt Club Burger. The secret is a specially-seasoned grill that cooks the beef to perfection, topped with Old English, American Cheddar or Swiss cheese.

Jilly Beans Coffee House

There are many stereotypes connected to being a college student, and none is truer than drinking lots of coffee. Whether it’s finals week or just Monday, Jilly Beans Coffee House is a local favorite. The quaint café has a comforting atmosphere and its pastries, like homemade raspberry white chocolate scones, are in high demand. Best of all, friendly and helpful Jilly Beans baristas make customers feel at home. A unique feature of this coffee house is its Secret Garden — a patio covered in whimsical wisteria, making an idyllic place to study.

El Cerrito

For authentic Mexican food only five minutes from campus, stop at El Cerrito. With an endless basket of warm chips and salsa, it’s hard to find room for El Cerrito’s carne asada, addictive quesadillas, or stuffed burritos. The restaurant serves all entrees with warm rice and refried beans. With 99-cent Taco Tuesday, and All You Can Eat Combinations on Thursday, authentic Mexican cuisine can be on the menu any day of the week.

Oakley Riverside Deli

Oakley’s is a deli and sandwich shop a short walk from the college. With fresh sliced meats and herbed mayo, an Oakley’s sandwich provides a fresh flavor from cafeteria food. The servings are large, with many varieties of veggies and sauce options. If you are going with a group, The Ultimate Oakley is a 22-inch sandwich that includes three meats, two cheese options, and as many condiments as you desire for $14.45. Soups and salads are also available as reasonably-priced options.