Enactus competes at nationals

Home News Enactus competes at nationals
Enactus competes at nationals

Hillsdale Enactus returned from Cincinnati last week with a $500 cash prize from the Enactus National competition. Six students made up a presentation team that won its consolation bracket.

The presentation was based on last year’s Hillsdale Enactus chapters’ activities focusing on international outreach, energy management, and community development projects.

“I think our team did really well, considering that we’re kind of young,” said senior Gena Oster, president of the chapter. “But we have 34 devoted Enactus members, which is pretty impressive.”

Oster said many of the teams from other colleges Hillsdale competed against have endowments and receive college credit for their participation, making Hillsdale’s competitiveness that much more impressive.

Executive Director of Career Services Michael Murray, one of the group’s academic advisors, said, “The team did a very fine job representing Hillsdale and, I think, demonstrated themselves very admirably.”

This year’s competition saw a shift from last year, when Hillsdale competed at a regional competition in Chicago. The Enactus organization eliminated the regional competition from the overall program, meaning every participating team in the United States was competing in Cincinnati.

While the team failed to qualify for advancement, every team present was guaranteed at least two chances to present, and in the consolation competition, Hillsdale Enactus excelled. Junior Shaun Lichti, vice president of marketing for the team and presentation director, saw the whole experience as a great learning opportunity.

“It was important for understanding the new competition format, what it means to not have regionals where everyone goes straight into nationals — I think we came out with a really good understanding of that,” he said. “Our presentation style, and the way we went about doing our presentation, using a lot of video elements with a high production value — very professionally produced — was a big success and really gave us an edge, and I think that with another year to finesse our projects and the way we’re partnering both with businesses and nonprofits, we’ll be in a very great position next year.”

Beyond the experience of the competition, which Bob Blackstock, business law professor, described as “a wonderful opportunity for students, developing their rhetorical skills,” the national competition included a career fair and business speakers.

Murray said fifty companies were present, many of which were Fortune 500 and 100 companies. The businesses ranged from Home Depot to Coca-Cola and everything in between. One of the key-note addresses was given by the president of the Hershey company. While only the six students making up the presentation team were present on this trip, Murray would like more to attend in the future, and hopes to eventually bring the whole Hillsdale Enactus team each year to the competition so they can all take advantage of the networking and job opportunities.

Lichti and Oster both said they would like to see the Hillsdale Enactus team grow.

“Our drive is really just to get more people aware and more people involved,” Lichti said.

Formerly known as Students in Free Enterprise, Enactus went through a rebranding process last year. The Hillsdale chapter worked on three projects this last year. In energy management, Enactus ran the dormitory and residence recycling and energy competitions and programs. In community development, the group helped the local restaurant and addiction recovery ministry “Tastes of Life” manage their marketing. Also, in international outreach, Enactus is assisting philanthropist John Drake’s Lingap Center orphanage in the Philippines.

“At bottom, the purpose of Enactus is to make the world a better place,” Blackstock said.

Anyone intersted in learning more about Enactus at Hillsdale is invited to attend the team’s presentation in the private dining room at noon on April 15.