The 3-Min Interview: Woody Horn

Home City News The 3-Min Interview: Woody Horn

To provide a customer friendly hybrid bar, Broad Street Downtown Market recently added a bar and restaurant-style food service to the store on 55 N. Broad St. Woody Horn, the bartender, said he enjoys the interaction with the bar goers and the chance to create new drinks like the Irish Hillbilly and Southern Comfort.  

How did you all decide to start a bar in Broad Street Market?

I got the idea from Whole Foods in Ann Arbor. My mother is actually one of the partners in the business and really likes that style. She wanted to bring something like that to Hillsdale. We had the start with the architecture and products we are pushing to sell. She thought it would help emphasize on our sales.

How do you differentiate from Hunt Club and Pub and Grub?

Our facility is definitely different, and we try to push customer interaction. Our venues our different. Hunt Club is a restaurant, Pub & Grub is a bar, and we are some crazy hybrid that tries to serve everyone.

You like to create new drinks, how do you come up with them?

Strawberry Fields is a favorite. Each time it is ordered I try to build on it to make it better and give a little of a personal touch to it. All of these drinks are trial and error, with me trying to avoid the errors.

You want to start a specialty night for sororities and fraternities, what other specialty nights do you want to host?

We are trying to create all different ones, but our main focus is customer service. We do our best to remember what someone likes and when they return making them feel welcome. We are trying to break down that image of just being a market with shopping carts. We would like this to become a destination. Our main focus is customer service, and that is why I love my job. My job gives me the opportunity to interact with different people, which I really enjoy.

What would you like an idea for the specialty night for sororities and fraternities to become?

My supervisor just told me about the idea five minutes ago. This gives us the opportunity to see and do something for our customers. In preparation for the night, I want to speak with the different fraternities and sororities to see what they want. With each endeavor we take I want to give it 100 percent and not do anything halfway.  My job is to find the best way to serve our customer and make them feel welcome.

-Compiled by Sarah Anne Voyles