YAF to host Howell mayor for talk

Home News YAF to host Howell mayor for talk

Young Americans for Freedom will host two small-town government officials to speak about education, tax policy, and local government on Feb. 18 in Dow Rooms A and B. Howell, Mich., Mayor Phillip Campbell and tax activist Lana Theis will talk about their experience in small-town politics.

Thirty-three year-old Mayor Campbell, known as Mayor Phil, is also a private school teacher and father of four. He grew up in Howell and decided to run for mayor in 2011. He was also re-elected for a second term in 2013. His focus is on small businesses and advocating limited government. He has recently announced plans to run for the 47th District seat of the Michigan House of Representatives in 2014.

Theis is a tax activist and is treasurer of Brighton, Mich. She is currently campaigning for Michigan State Representative in the 42nd District, under the motto, “Freedom, Family, Finance & Fundamentals, because good government costs less, giving us the freedom to do more.”

YAF board member and sophomore Dominic Restuccia said the group is hosting the event in order to take a break from the academic side of local government and hear about the reality. Instead of simply learning about the concepts of limited and local government, small businesses, education, and tax reform, students can witness a real-life application of such ideas.

“It is an opportunity to see a perspective on educational philosophy and local government philosophy from a real world viewpoint as opposed to an academic viewpoint,” he said.

Restuccia also said Campbell’s visit shows that everyday people care about beliefs that are widely-taught at the college.

“It is supposed to be a practical application of what we are learning at Hillsdale College,” Restuccia said.