Men, women finish third at Kenosha

Home Sports Men, women finish third at Kenosha

The Hillsdale College cross country teams placed well at their last meet before championship season. Both teams say they like their chances in the GLIAC meet next weekend.

The Hillsdale men and women finished third in their respective 8,000 meter and 5,000 meter races. The men scored 93 points, while the women totalled 146 at the University of Wisconsin Parkside Rosa Invitational on Oct. 12.

Junior Joshua Mirth, 2nd in 25:04, led the men. Sophomore Kristina Galat, 13th in 18:20, led the women.

Although several runners hit personal records for their 5,000 meter times, as a team, the women left Wisconsin a little dissatisfied with their performance.

“We didn’t have a bad performance,” Galat said. “Compared to last year it was a lot better, but not where everyone wanted to be.”

Galat was the first of the Hillsdale women to P.R. The Oren sisters finished next for Hillsdale; freshman Molly Oren in 18:32 and sophomore Emily Oren in 18:38. They placed 25th and 31st.

Senior Victoria McCaffrey, 36th, crossed the line at 18:46. Hillsdale’s next runner, junior Shena Albaugh, ran her fastest 5,000 meter race ever: 18:56.

“I texted her over the weekend, ‘Hey, you’re an 18-minute girl now,’” head women’s oach Andrew Towne said.

The team ran without injured freshman Julie Bos, who established herself as one of the team’s top runners at the University of Notre Dame meet, where she finished second on the team.

Towne said he hoped she’d “factor in” to the next meet, although said they’d be careful not to rush her back into competition too quickly.

“It wasn’t a great, great performance, but it was solid,” Towne said. “The reality is, from here one out, it all counts. From here back, none of it mattered. I think that’s a good sign.”

Junior John Wierenga said the men were generally pretty excited with the race.

The men took third of 28 teams at Kenosha. After the set back at Notre Dame race, Wierenga said he thinks the team is back to where they need to be.

“Last weekend was definitely a step in the right direction,” Wierenga said.

Freshman star Joe Newcomb tailed Mirth for the race, finishing 16th in 25:48.”

“Obviously a really solid time for a freshman,” head men’s coach Jeff Forino said. “We’re really proud of how he’s been running every week.”

Juniors Luke Hickman, 25th, and Jack Butler, 26th, finished together — Hickman in 26:04 and Butler in 26:05.

Freshman Luke Daigneault rounded out the top five for the men in 32nd at 26:12.

“At the conference and the regional level, we have a chance at making it to nationals this year — the best chance we’ve had in a long time. But we need everyone there giving their all.”

The teams compete next at the GLIAC meet on Oct. 26 in Houghton, Mich.