Local foundation bolsters nonprofits

Home City News Local foundation bolsters nonprofits

On Nov. 30, the one year anniversary of the closing of the United Way, Hillsdale County Community Foundation will host its second annual Match Day fundraiser. The community event will transfer the money raised to 15 non-profit organizations in Hillsdale. HCCF will match the first $4,000 for each organization that participates in the fundraiser.

HCCF gave over $40,000 during the 2009 Match Day and this year it plans to give about $44,000 to Hillsdale non-profit foundations. HCCF executive director Sharon Bisher said that the closing of the community program United Way last year encouraged HCCF to reopen Match Day.

Before United Way closed due to lack of funds, HCCF and United Way worked closely with the community. While United Way aided the community with immediate needs, Bisher said that HCCF was the community’s “savings book” and raised money for projects throughout the year.

Since United Way left Hillsdale in the fall of 2011, HCCF has tried to fill the gap and raise funds for nonprofits who meet immediate needs as well.

“Agencies that we chose [to fund] met a critical human service need,” Bisher said.

The non-profit Simpson Foundation, private donors, and the HCCF will fund the Match Day donations.To prepare for the Nov. 30 fundraiser, Bisher is promoting the event and raising awareness among donors and businesses.

“We are trying to promote this as the biggest day of giving in Hillsdale,” Bisher said. “We want there to be a constant effort of giving back to community. And the end of the year is always the biggest giving time.”

While a handful of the non-profit organizations that will be recipients of the Match Day donations have had an extensive history of fundraising experience, such as the Salvation Army, several of the smaller local non-profits have appreciated HCCF’s help with the event.

“What is so good about this is that we’ve had some budget cuts this year,” said Cynthia Bofford, an employee of Domestic Harmony.  “[Match Day] will really help us keep the shelter going.”

bpritchett@hillsdale.edu