Softball beats Ashland for first time since 2008

Home Sports Softball beats Ashland for first time since 2008

In a repeat match-up with No. 17 Grand Valley State University two weeks ago, the Hillsdale College softball team again split a doubleheader with the nationally ranked team. The Chargers lost the first game 6-1 and won the second 5-1 late in the game.

The Chargers also had a record-breaking weekend in doubleheaders against Ashland University, Lake Erie College, and Ohio Dominican University. The Chargers stand at 15-11 in GLIAC play and 23-18 overall. Hillsdale is sitting at second in the North Division and fourth overall in the GLIAC.

The preseason poll had originally predicted that Hillsdale would be fifth in the North Division.

“There is no sweeter revenge than proving someone wrong,” senior third baseman Jessica Guertin said. “Everyone really underestimated us, and we have the potential to do something really great with our program.”

In the first game against GVSU, the Lakers won 6-1. Head coach Joe Abraham said though the Chargers had five hits in the game, the Chargers simply couldn’t turn them into runs.

But in the second game, the Chargers got their bats going late in the game to take the win from the Lakers 5-1.

Going into the seventh inning, the score was tied at 1-1. In that inning, Grand Valley brought in the pitcher from the first game

“By the seventh inning of the second game, our hitters had faced her four or five times already,” Abraham said. “We were ready to hit her by then.”

Senior left fielder Allison Hetrick led off the inning with a single, followed by singles from Guertin and senior first baseman Jen Berlet. With two runs under their belts, junior center fielder Taylor Schulty launched a ball over the left-field fence, getting two RBIs.

Senior pitcher Laura Homan, named GLIAC Pitcher of the Week, became the first Charger in 10 years to reach 15 wins, tying the school record.

“Anyone who knows Laura knows that she’s been working really hard,” Guertin said. “She’s done a phenomenal job. I can’t even put into words how proud we all are of her.”

Over the weekend the Chargers went 4-2.

The Chargers were able to bounce back from a 13-4 defeat against Ashland on Friday and won the second game 5-1 for the first time since 2008.

“They’ve always been a big powerhouse in the conference,” Guertin said. “We shut down some of the best hitters in the GLIAC between Laura and our defense. I know that I was beyond excited when we won.”

The Chargers started off the game with a run in the first inning. In the each of the last four innings, the Chargers put up a single run, which was enough to defeat the Eagles, who only recorded one run in the bottom of the fifth inning.

The Chargers next faced Lake Erie on Saturday and swept them 9-1 and 4-2.

In the first game, Homan again had a strong pitching performance, only allowing five hits. Hillsdale had 11 hits in the game.

In the second inning of the game, junior Miriam McKay hit a homerun for the two runs in that inning.

“When you play a team like Lake Erie, the pitching is slower,” Guertin said. “It’s hard to be patient at the plate.”

In the second game, Hillsdale came out in the first inning with three runs. Two of the runs in that inning were batted in off a double to left field from Schulty. The third run came from an error by Lake Erie.

The team set a school record for single-season stolen bases with 66. The previous record of 65 had stood since 1990.

“That record shows how different our mentality is this year,” Guertin said. “We’re aggressive. We’re determined out-hustle the other team. We’re determined to outplay the other team.”

The Chargers split Sunday’s doubleheader with Ohio Dominican University. In the first game, the 9-2 loss came from several Hillsdale errors. Ohio Dominican had only one earned run in the game.

In the second game, the Chargers were able to respond to the first-game loss with a 3-2 win.

Guertin had a three-run homerun in the first inning, which was enough to secure the win for the Chargers. Her three RBIs in the game captured Hillsdale’s all-time record for career RBIs at 141. Sarah Pricinsky held the previous 1997 record of 140.

“I actually didn’t know [I had broken the record] until my friend texted me about it,” Guertin said, laughing.

The Chargers are set to play a weekend series at home against Northwood University on Friday and Saturday.