Preaching, serving amid COVID-19 pandemic

Home City News Preaching, serving amid COVID-19 pandemic
Pastor Mike Prince (center) offers prayer at the Community Debate for Hillsdale State Representatives Courtesy | Mike Prince

Pastor Mike Prince is helping people in Hillsdale with challenges from COVID-19.

Prince, who has 29 years of pastoral experience, has been the pastor at Hillsdale Community Nazarene Church for two years and has seen a greater financial need in the community since the pandemic. With unemployment, many people are forced to ask for help.

“I think the people who are hurting in the community are reaching out more than they ever did,” Prince said.

In response, 20% of the offerings that come into the church now go to the benevolence fund, which are used to meet physical, spiritual, and financial needs. Prince says that anyone can ask for help, even if they are from outside the church community.

Suzette Gow, the administrative assistant and treasurer of Nazarene Church, said the benevolence fund has helped provide food, gasoline, and even money for utility bills to people in the community.

“It’s been a real blessing to help people,” Gow said. “I think people are even more grateful for your help when it’s such hard times as these.” 

Many people have been donating to the church, which led the church to host a rummage sale, where they raised over $4000 in only six hours.

“God is helping us through the difficult times,” Prince said.

Difficult circumstances are not new to Prince: he grew up on welfare and with his father in the mafia.

“When police sirens went off, one of us would start running because we thought they were after us—it was that kind of lifestyle,” Prince said. When he was young and in need, a church member made an impression on him. 

For me, there was an old lady that came—she was in her 80s, and she would come to our house and she would pick me up for church.”

Prince eventually started staying with a pastor on weekends, where he learned the importance of an authentic Christian life. He said he gave his heart to Christ at a camp and received his call to serve others.

“Because I’ve come through so much, I’m prepared a lot more than others,” Prince said. “I can show people how to have peace even in the desert times.”

Mayor Adam Stockford, who attends Nazarene Church, said Prince is willing to serve the community in all areas. 

“I asked him to serve on the airport committee because we were having some hiccups there and some personality clashes, and I knew he’d be a unifying, mediating presence,” Stockford said in an email. He’s become our de facto city council chaplain, and he’s always digging and trying to find creative new ways to serve the community.”

Besides the airport committee, Prince also serves on the chamber of commerce and housing committees.

He also spent 22 years working as a hospice bereavement director. Because of social distancing, Prince stopped several of his bereavement support groups, but hopes for them to return in mid-October.

“Hospice is the biggest thing I’d like to get back to,” Prince said. “Helping people move forward one breath at a time.”

Although the coronavirus has posed problems, Prince doesn’t let it get in the way of serving Hillsdale, and has made many phone calls, letters, and hospital visits with proper precautions during the pandemic.

Stockford said Prince embodies community service.

“What we do as politicians is easy, but pastors deal with people’s deepest secrets, most agonizing pains, and heaviest burdens.”