Steven Mosher speaks on the dangers of China. Col­legian | Kalli Dal­rymple

The Chinese Com­munist Party is the greatest threat America has ever faced, according to Steven Mosher, a scholar on China and a social sci­entist. 

Mosher’s speech, which explored China as a key issue in the upcoming pres­i­dential election, was part of the Center for Con­structive Alter­na­tives con­ference on American foreign policy on Tuesday, Sept. 21. 

The danger China poses to the United States has become increas­ingly apparent, Mosher said, making China a major issue on the ballot this November.  

“China is the prin­cipal threat to the U.S.-led world order and to democracy in the United States, inter­fering with our election in a way that Vladimir Putin could only dream of having done,” Mosher said.

For evi­dence, Mosher pointed to the COVID-19 pan­demic, which he said has become intensely politi­cized.  

“This is a virus that was created in a Chinese lab overseen by the People’s Lib­er­ation Army, and then delib­er­ately released upon the world,” Mosher said. 

Mosher also argued that China poses a sig­nif­icant mil­itary threat to the United States, citing a Pen­tagon report claiming that over the last two decades, China has mar­shaled the resources, tech­nology, and political will to mod­ernize its mil­itary, growing both its navy and its nuclear capa­bil­ities.

“The FBI esti­mates that China steals $600 billion a year in intel­lectual property from the United States,” Mosher said. 

Mosher shared how in response to the Pen­tagon report, a Chinese spokesman said America is the real destroyer of world peace and China’s mil­itary buildup should not threaten or worry any country. 

“Well, tell that to Taiwan,” Mosher said.

China’s increased aggression against India, Japan, Taiwan, and the Russian border are also signs of a trend toward mil­i­tantism, Mosher said. 

Hillsdale College Sophomore Kelsey Powell, who spent a year studying in Taiwan, said Mosher’s speech aligned with what she had seen while studying abroad.

Mosher pointed to China’s habit of online trolling and infil­trating foreign media outlets with Chinese pro­pa­ganda as another sign of China’s threat to the election. 

“Both Attorney General William Barr and National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien have recently remarked that it is not Russia, but China, that has taken the most active role in inter­fering in the U.S election,” Mosher said.

Susannah Green, a junior, agreed that Chinese trolls and media infil­tration is an issue. 

“Most people our age these days get their political infor­mation on social media and Twitter,” she said of the Com­munist Party’s influence on popular culture and infor­mation.

The most direct way China could swing the election, however, is through the can­di­dates them­selves, par­tic­u­larly on eco­nomic issues, according to Mosher. Mosher asserted that Demo­c­ratic pres­i­dential nominee Joe Biden has barely acknowl­edged China as a sig­nif­icant com­petitor and has a history of sup­porting trade deals that undermine U.S. trade interests while pro­moting Chinese eco­nomic growth. Pres­ident Donald Trump, on the other hand, has a clear under­standing of the threat China poses to the United States’ economy, national security, and world interests. 

“There is no win-win sce­nario between demo­c­ratic America and com­munist china, there are only tem­porary truces. The new cold war between China and the United states is a zero-sum game which will only be solved when one system tri­umphs over the other,” Mosher said.