Tara Reade is one of eight women who have made alle­ga­tions of sexual assault against Demo­c­ratic pres­i­dential can­didate Joe Biden. | Wiki­media Commons

When Christine Blasey Ford, Deborah Ramirez, and Julie Swetnick came forward with alle­ga­tions of sexual assault against asso­ciate justice Brett Kavanaugh, the media was quick to not only jump on the #MeToo movement, but also smear Kavanaugh. One headline, which became infamous after the story in the article proved to be unfounded, read “Brett Kavanaugh Fit In With The Priv­i­leged Kids. She Did Not.” 

On March 25, Tara Reade said in a podcast that Demo­c­ratic pres­i­dential can­didate Joe Biden assaulted her while she was on his U.S. Senate staff in 1993. Sadly, her alle­ga­tions have been largely ignored by most media outlets. In fact, after being made aware of the accu­sation, The New York Times took 19 days to report Reade’s claims.

All women — all people — have a right to speak up when they feel they have been wronged, no matter their pol­itics or the pol­itics of the alleged per­pe­trator. 

The New York Times’ double standard, however, spot­lights the paper’s political bias. More impor­tantly, it dis­misses Reade and her claim. 

The New York Times doesn’t believe all women. And that’s not very #woke.

When The New York Times finally did report Reade’s alle­ga­tions on April 12, the paper tweeted this: “We found no pattern of sexual mis­conduct by Biden, beyond hugs, kisses and touching that women pre­vi­ously said made them uncom­fortable.” But they quickly edited the sen­tence, removing “beyond hugs, kisses and touching that women pre­vi­ously said made them uncom­fortable,” because the Biden cam­paign told them to do so. 

Any indi­vidual who is accused of a crime is innocent until proven guilty. But these cases — just like those of Blasey Ford, Ramirez, and Swetnick — should be respected, taken seri­ously, and inves­ti­gated properly. 

Last April, eight women, including Reade, pub­licly claimed that Biden assaulted them. But then, and now, the media has remained mostly silent. 

In a Q&A, New York Times Exec­utive Editor Dean Baquet said that the paper’s reporting on Kavanaugh was dif­ferent than their treatment of Biden because Kavanaugh “was already in the public forum in a large way.” 

Right, because being a pres­i­dential can­didate, former vice pres­ident, and former senator is not “in the public forum in a large way.” 

The media is choosing to silence Reade and protect Biden. 

Maybe Biden and his sup­porters in the media should take his own advice: When a woman alleges sexual assault, presume she is telling the truth. If we’re going to #Belie­veAll­Women, let’s believe Lucy Flores, Amy Lappos, D.J. Hill, Cailtyn Caruso, Ally Coll, Sofie Karasek, Vail Kohnert-Yount, and Tara Reade. 

Or maybe we should just let due process run its course.