Hunter Biden has been caught in both per­sonal and pro­fes­sional scandals. I Wiki­media Commons

Throughout the dra­matics of Trump’s pres­i­dency — and par­tic­u­larly now, in the midst of his impeachment trial — Hunter Biden has been drawn into the fray as reporters and others dredge up his involvement in several scandals.

Shining a spot­light on Hunter Biden’s pro­fes­sional and per­sonal life has shown that he is a deeply pathetic person who has made many ter­rible life choices. He has spent his life riding the coat­tails of the Biden name and making a career out of simply being Joe Biden’s son. 

Though there have been many sus­pi­cions about Hunter Biden’s work and con­nec­tions in Ukraine, which have put him at the center of Trump’s Ukraine scandal, the younger Biden probably is not some evil mas­termind. Though his father might be at fault for cor­ruption, Hunter just seems to be a deadbeat that has gotten caught up in the mael­strom.

Hunter Biden has been in the public eye for nearly his whole life, and it has done the 49-year-old no favors. He spent his life trading on the family name and climbing up the ladder simply because he is Joe Biden’s son. 

In the late 1990s, he began working for Maryland Bank National Asso­ci­ation, which was well-known for being a sig­nif­icant donor to Joe Biden’s cam­paigns over the years. Despite many con­cerns that his role at MBNA was a con­flict of interest, Hunter con­tinued there for five years. 

After MBNA, once again using his con­nec­tions and Biden name, Hunter got a position as a director in the Department of Com­merce under the Clinton admin­is­tration and remained there until 2001. Then, from 2001 to 2008, Hunter co-founded Oldaker, Biden, and Belair LLP, a federal lob­byist firm. Hunter showed for the first time in his career concern about con­flicts of interest when he stepped down from the lob­bying firm after his father became Obama’s running mate. 

He told the New Yorker, “I wanted my father to have a clean slate.”

After leaving Oldaker, Biden, and Belair LLP, Hunter started Seneca Global Advisors and Rosemont Seneca Partners, and appar­ently he began making con­nec­tions in China and Russia through these firms. 

In 2014, Hunter signed on as a board member for Burisma Holdings, Ukraine’s largest gas-pro­duction company. It was a tense time in the region with dis­putes over Russia’s involvement in Ukraine and Ukraine’s energy depen­dence. Hunter Biden’s new position with Burisma Holdings raised ques­tions and sparked a con­tro­versy over whether his involvement was a direct con­flict of interest. 

As if Hunter’s work life was not pathetic enough, soon after gaining his position at Burisma, he made a giant train­wreck of his per­sonal life. 

In 2015, Hunter’s brother Beau died from cancer. In the aftermath of his brother’s death, Hunter went on a bender, started using crack, and spent a lot of time with his brother’s widow, Hallie Biden. Appar­ently, he and Hallie were “sharing a very spe­cific grief.” Appar­ently, they began sharing a lot more — just nine months after Beau’s death, Hunter divorced his first wife, Kathleen Biden, and pub­licly acknowl­edged that he was dating Hallie Biden.

The intrigue of Hunter’s per­sonal life died down for a couple of years, until this past November when his name splashed across head­lines yet again. As if dating his brother’s widow wasn’t enough, it was dis­covered that Hunter fathered a child with ex-stripper Lunden Alexis Roberts, sup­posedly while he was still in a rela­tionship with Hallie Biden. To make things even more scan­dalous, Hunter and Hallie’s rela­tionship ended in April 2019, and in May, Hunter married Melissa Cohen. Hunter has now accrued one ex-wife, one ex-girl­friend/­sister-in-law, one stripper baby mama, and another new wife.

Aside from his ridiculous per­sonal life, Hunter’s pro­fes­sional life also began blowing up again when a New York Times article in May explained Joe and Hunter Biden’s con­nec­tions in Ukraine and the pos­si­bility that Joe had suc­cess­fully used his con­nec­tions to get a Ukrainian pros­e­cutor removed from office. 

Why would Joe Biden get a Ukrainian pros­e­cutor removed from office? Rumors are that he was trying to protect Hunter from an inves­ti­gation into Burisma since its founder was facing mul­tiple inves­ti­ga­tions into alle­ga­tions of money laun­dering and tax evasion. 

Appar­ently deter­mined to damage 2020 Demo­c­ratic pres­i­dential can­didate Joe Biden, Trump asked Ukrainian Pres­ident Vladimir Zelensky to inves­tigate both Joe and Hunter Biden. Thus began the Trump-Ukraine scandal which has led to his impeachment and trial. 

While admitting that he probably got his position at Burisma Holdings because of his last name, Hunter has denied any wrong­doing. He did openly admit in an interview with ABC News that he likely got the job on the company’s board because his last name was Biden. But that’s not par­tic­u­larly new since Hunter has spent his whole life trading on the family name. 

In May, Ukraine’s Pros­e­cutor General Yuriy Lut­senko did inves­tigate the Bidens and said he found no com­pelling evi­dence of wrong­doing against either Biden. 

Of course this all blew up in Trump’s face with impeachment. Now Hunter Biden might be called as a witness in the impeachment trial. Hunter, the free­loading bar­nacle of a Biden, though cur­rently in the middle of the impeachment ker­fuffle, will probably come out fine and con­tinue to find a good paying position with his last name. 

Regardless of the impeachment pro­ceedings and scandals, the years of media cov­erage have  cer­tainly shown the public the scum­miness inside the Biden family, which might not bode well for Joe Biden’s election cam­paign.

Abby Liebing is a senior studying history. She is the asso­ciate editor of The Col­legian.