“Green is the New Black,” Hills­dale’s newest radio show, will explore wellness and healthy eating. Danielle Lee | Courtesy

William Persson, mar­keting coor­di­nator for Bon Appetit, and junior Danielle Lee, mar­keting assistant for the school’s food provider, have teamed up for a weekly radio show to air on Radio Free Hillsdale. “Green Is the New Black” will be on the college’s radio station on Thursdays at 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.

The show aims to discuss aspects of wellness and healthy living people nor­mally don’t focus on. Lee and Persson hope to broaden the public’s per­spective when they con­sider a food provider’s attempts to encourage healthy eating and living.

“It’s really just to have a dif­ferent way to bring infor­mation about wellness and sus­tain­ability to stu­dents, and ideally around the country even­tually,” Persson said.

Lee hosts the show, and she and Persson discuss trendy diets like keto and car­nivore. Lee said the show’s topics will strate­gi­cally coincide with certain times during the school year. Com­mitting to healthy habits that include dieting are common at the beginning of semesters, and things like regular sleep schedules and stress eating coincide with exam season.

“People overlook wellness a lot. They regard it as a kind of weakness,” Lee said. ”But just to take a minute to step back is good for you, because you do need a healthy body and healthy mindset to function well.”

The show has already reached beyond Hillsdale as lis­teners connect with the show on social media. Bon Appetit’s official Twitter account even retweeted its first episode. But at Hillsdale, Persson said the show has a par­ticular purpose.

“Hillsdale stu­dents like having a dia­logue about dif­ferent topics,” Persson said. “Instead of just giving infor­mation, it’s an effort to start a con­ver­sation.”

While most stu­dents know Bon Appetit foremost for its food service, its man­agement empha­sizes a wide lifestyle brand cen­tered on wellness, which is what “Green Is the New Black” will high­light.

Junior Emma Noverr has become a devoted lis­tener to the “Green is the New Black.” 

“I love lis­tening to their podcast as a break from homework and a stress reliever. I care about wellness because it’s the foun­dation that I build the rest of my life on,” Noverr said. “If I don’t feel like I’m living well or healthy, other areas of like my aca­d­emics and social life suffer.” 

Topics will include human traf­ficking, eating local, organic farming, and more. Lee and Persson plan to have guests who are experts on par­ticular topics to provide insight throughout the semester. 

“The goal is to get more ‘why’ answers [from our guests],” Persson said. “I can give the rational answers on why we’ve decided to commit to doing some­thing, but they provide the human com­ponent.”

Ulti­mately, the show hopes to connect all of its topics to create a better under­standing of what it means to live a life of wellness and why that lifestyle is worth it.

“With health and wellness, there’s spir­itual, bodily, and mental, and all of these things are coming together to form a ‘well’ human being. Being well, there’s some­thing behind it,” Persson said. “The reason why we would say it’s important is it’s going to be con­ducive to you living a happy life.”

Previous articleHistoric Hysteria: UFO spotted in arboretum
Next articleUS, Europe shouldn’t strike new deal with Iran
Avatar
Nathan is a junior at Hillsdale College studying Rhetoric and Public Address and Journalism. He is Sports Editor and beat reporter for the Football, Women's Basketball, and Baseball teams for the Hillsdale Collegian. When he's not watching or writing about sports, Nathan enjoys playing organ and singing. Originally from St. Louis Missouri, Nathan now lives in Fort Wayne, Indiana. You can follow Nathan on twitter @nategrime or Hillsdale Collegian Sports at @HDaleSports.