Graphic by Anne Buzzell.

Pi Beta Phi won this semester’s schol­arship cup with a GPA of 3.523, con­trary to the announcement at last week’s con­vo­cation. Sigma Chi also won with a GPA of 3.257, con­trary to the announcement.

The problem arose from a mis­com­mu­ni­cation between admin­is­trative offices, said Reg­istrar Douglas McArthur. At con­vo­cation, admin­is­trators announced Kappa Kappa Gamma was the winning house because of the error, as well as the wrong GPA for Sigma Chi. According to Reg­istrar Douglas McArthur, his office received a call from the provost’s office for the GPAs of Hillsdale’s fra­ter­nities and soror­ities. McArthur said his office does not account for stu­dents who might have dropped from a par­ticular Greek orga­ni­zation, and their list of Greek GPAs would not account for that. But because he did not per­sonally receive the call for GPAs, he and the deans did not rec­oncile their lists of stu­dents involved in Greek life.

“The numbers were 100 percent correct,” he said, “but they were the right numbers at the wrong time.”

Junior Tess Skehan, pres­ident of Pi Beta Phi, said she was con­fused and dis­ap­pointed when the incorrect infor­mation was announced at con­vo­cation. But she said Dean of Men Aaron Petersen and Asso­ciate Dean of Women Rebekah Dell were helpful in addressing the problem, and they let the women of Pi Beta Phi take pic­tures with the cup after con­vo­cation.

“Both the deans and the Kappas were very helpful and under­standing,” Skehan said in a message. “While we were dis­ap­pointed that our house was not pub­licly rec­og­nized for the award at con­vo­cation, I am over­whelm­ingly proud of the intel­li­gence, work ethic, and schol­arship of my sisters.”

Skehan noted that this was Pi Beta Phi’s 99th schol­arship cup.

“We exceeded the all-women’s average and are focused on con­tinuing this legacy in future semesters,” she said.