Graphic by Anne Buzzell

Editor’s Note: This article has been updated to reflect more accurate infor­mation. A pre­vious version said Kappa Kappa Gamma won the sorority schol­arship cup. 

Pro­fessor and Chairman of History Mark Kalthoff received the Daugherty Award for Teaching Excel­lence for the fall semester of 2018 at con­vo­cation on Thursday.

“Mark Kalthoff exem­plifies the kind of steady, wise teaching that we prize at the college,” Dean of Faculty and Asso­ciate Pro­fessor of Edu­cation Daniel Cou­pland said in an email. “The hun­dreds of Hillsdale stu­dents who have sat in his classes over the years have been shaped by his deep under­standing of his par­ticular field and of liberal edu­cation in general.”

Dean of Women Diane Philipp said the cri­teria for the Daugherty includes ded­i­cation to one’s pro­fession and craft, sen­si­tivity to stu­dents’ learning, and a demand for excel­lence.

Student GPAs from fall 2018 were announced at con­vo­cation as well. The all-school GPA was 3.320, while the average women’s GPA was 3.477, and the average men’s GPA was 3.262. For the Greek schol­arship cups, Pi Beta Phi had the highest sorority GPA at 3.523, while Sigma Chi won the fra­ternity prize with an average GPA of 3.257. Eleven seniors qual­ified for the top 10 of the Class of 2019, with two tying for 10th place: In alpha­betical order, they were Nicole Ault, Catherine Bodnar, Marina Bostelman, Kathryn DuHadway, Ellen Friesen, Hope Jonker, Rebecca Kaiser, Daniel Maisonville, Samuel Roberts, Jessica Skoudis, and Gill West.

Well done, stu­dents!