Spangler’s moves to new location, keeps traditions

Home City News Spangler’s moves to new location, keeps traditions
Spanglers Family Restaurant moved into a new location 601 E Chicago Road. Collegian|Josephine Von Dohlen

A local staple of Jonesville for over two decades, Spangler’s Hilltop restaurant recently moved across town to a new location. Now situated at 601 East Chicago Rd. on the east city limits, the restaurant sits 1.5 miles from its previous location.

With the move, Spangler’s has expanded its capacity for customers from 50 people to 80 people. With wide windows revealing a view of rolling fields across the road, the restaurant is well-lit and shining new. Dark-red wainscotting and black furniture complement the weathered wood floors and steel trim.

A family-run business, the diner has always remained with the Spangler family. Mitch Spangler, the current owner, said his parents, Gary and Joyce Spangler, opened the restaurant in 1996. Since Mitch Spangler’s son has worked there for six years, the restaurant has three generations of family involvement.

“Each meal is individually prepared and cooked to order,” Spangler said.

Spangler’s is known for its from-scratch cooking. The home-style cooking extended into the atmosphere at the restaurant. During my visit, the waitresses asked detailed questions, making sure the breakfast was cooked just as I wanted it.

“We fresh-cut french fries, and all of our burgers are hand pattied from the butchers, not frozen,” Spangler said, adding that they have not shrunk portions in 20 years.

The restaurant draws patrons of all ages. A family with children sat close by, while an elderly couple were served pie at a table to my right, and a young couple chatted over coffee in the corner.

Spangler’s employee Elizabeth Magaña said that customers return often, not just because of the quality food, but because of the good customer service. She has worked for Spangler’s in the past before returning for the past four months as an employee. She said that every time she tries to retire, she comes back, noting the close and friendly nature of the restaurant.

“The environment is extremely supportive,” Magaña said. “It’s more like a family and team membership. We probably have the most supportive owner. He’s not just a good employer but also a good person.”

Customer Robin Esham has been coming to Spangler’s for years, and said she loves the new location.

“I come back because of the service,” she said. “The waitresses make you feel like family.”

Spangler’s offers daily specials, such as fish-fry on Friday nights, all-you-can-eat with spare barbecue ribs, and butterfly shrimp on Saturdays. They serves breakfast all day and “good old fashioned comfort food just like grandma would make,” Spangler said.