Andrews teaches how to use spare bananas for some easy treats. | Shauna Sever | Courtesy

Remember the cup scandal last year, when Bon Appétit tossed all the paper cups for plastic, and stu­dents kept swiping them from the cafe­teria until there were only 25 left, and The Col­legian ran a threat-piece about it, and Chief said “I pity the fool I find with a cup,” and we all laughed?

Well, bananas are a dif­ferent story. We all learned our lesson with the cup thing, but no one has yet tried to deny us the simple joy of taking home six bananas from dinner. Some­thing about squir­reling them away in our little dorm pantries fills us with happy sat­is­faction, as if in doing so, we imagine we are pro­viding for our­selves.

But who ever actually eats the six bananas in time? Doubtless you have found yourself in the awkward position of finding your two-week-old banana stash pud­dling in your desk drawer. Or worse— your roommate’s.

In prepa­ration for shocking times as these, I have com­piled some quick, semi-dorm-friendly banana recipes to rescue your “stow-away-rotters” and pre­serve your growing (but fragile) sense of self-reliance.

Bon appétit.

Jill’s Easy Banana Bread

½ cup of short­ening
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 ½ cup of mashed bananas (two-ish)
2 cups + 1 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. soda
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cin­namon
Cream short­ening and sugar; add vanilla, eggs, and mashed bananas. In another bowl, sift the dry ingre­dients and then grad­ually add into the banana mixture. Pour into a lightly greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour.

Peanut Butter Banana Cookies

1 cup peanut butter
1 overripe banana, mashed
1 egg
1 cup of oats
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Mix all ingre­dients together and spoon cookie-sized drops onto a parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Once you remove them from the oven, allow them to set for another 10 minutes.

NOTE: The oats are optional. If you choose to leave them out, the cookies will spread, and the setting time will be more critical.

Banana Smoothies

1 peeled, frozen banana
1 cup of milk (I use cashew milk for the nut­tiness)
1 cup of frozen peaches or berries or any fruit
1 tsp. vanilla
nutmeg

The key to getting the texture right with this smoothie, without adding yogurt (for all you “lac-tards” out there), is to use frozen fruit. In this case, the soft, rotten bananas in your cup­board won’t work as well, imme­di­ately. If you peel and freeze them in a ziplock bag overnight, the next morning they will blend into the desired thickness for your post-run breakfast bev­erage.

This is almost the baking time of year! I bake both banana and pumpkin bread and take it into work for my col­leagues. Nothing like a slice of nice pumpkin bread to go with that morning cup of coffee to brighten a day.