(Photo: Ryan Kelly Murphy / Courtesy)

The Hillsdale College football team held its 38th annual Charger Lif­tathon on Sunday, raising more than $22,000 so far. Players received either fixed dona­tions from sponsors or a dollar-per-pound pledge based on the weight they lifted at the Lif­tathon.

Even after the event, Team 126 is still raising money for the fundraiser. The team hopes to hit it’s goal of $25,000 with the two remaining days of the cam­paign. Head coach Keith Otterbein said the funds will go toward general football oper­a­tions, including team travel, equipment, and recruiting.

Junior offensive lineman Drew Callahan won the award for the greatest overall lift, hang-cleaning 360 pounds. Each player was required to max out on their hang clean. The program record is 425 pounds, achieved by current Arizona Car­dinals left tackle Jared Veldheer ‘09.

Donors have until mid­night Friday to par­tic­ipate in the fundraiser. To do so, they can search “Hillsdale College” on www.givecampus.com and will find “The Annual Charger Lif­tathon” with links to donate.

“Gifts to the football team during the Lif­tathon will help in con­tinuing to run a first-class Division II football program in every way, and allow the players to focus on their studies and the game,” the website reads.

Once the cam­paign ends, the team will head out to the practice field for its first padded prac­tices of the spring.

“This marks the end of the winter program and starts us into spring ball,” junior quar­terback Chance Stewart said.

The Chargers went 7 – 4 last season and 5 – 2 in the G-MAC. The team returns many of its impact and award-receiving players from the pre­vious year for the coming season. Its 7 – 4 record was the program’s best since 2012.

“The players have worked hard in the off­season,” Otterbein said. “Spring practice will be important to get some young players much-needed snaps and expe­rience in our offensive and defensive schemes.”