Football nears Liftathon goal

Home Charger Football Football nears Liftathon goal
Football nears Liftathon goal
(Photo: Ryan Kelly Murphy / Courtesy)

The Hillsdale College football team held its 38th annual Charger Liftathon on Sunday, raising more than $22,000 so far. Players received either fixed donations from sponsors or a dollar-per-pound pledge based on the weight they lifted at the Liftathon.

Even after the event, Team 126 is still raising money for the fundraiser. The team hopes to hit it’s goal of $25,000 with the two remaining days of the campaign. Head coach Keith Otterbein said the funds will go toward general football operations, including team travel, equipment, and recruiting.

Junior offensive lineman Drew Callahan won the award for the greatest overall lift, hang-cleaning 360 pounds. Each player was required to max out on their hang clean. The program record is 425 pounds, achieved by current Arizona Cardinals left tackle Jared Veldheer ‘09.

Donors have until midnight Friday to participate in the fundraiser. To do so, they can search “Hillsdale College” on www.givecampus.com and will find “The Annual Charger Liftathon” with links to donate.

“Gifts to the football team during the Liftathon will help in continuing to run a first-class Division II football program in every way, and allow the players to focus on their studies and the game,” the website reads.

Once the campaign ends, the team will head out to the practice field for its first padded practices of the spring.

“This marks the end of the winter program and starts us into spring ball,” junior quarterback Chance Stewart said.

The Chargers went 7-4 last season and 5-2 in the G-MAC. The team returns many of its impact and award-receiving players from the previous year for the coming season. Its 7-4 record was the program’s best since 2012.

“The players have worked hard in the offseason,” Otterbein said. “Spring practice will be important to get some young players much-needed snaps and experience in our offensive and defensive schemes.”