National Harbor, Md. — Hillsdale College Pres­ident Larry Arnn ended his speech Thursday at the Con­ser­v­ative Political Action Con­ference by claiming Pres­ident Donald Trump’s actions prove he is a con­ser­v­ative.

“Even if he talks about himself too much, if he’s fearless in saying that he’s going to cut back that vast hedge that has overcome so much of our country and if he does that fear­lessly and is not afraid of political cor­rectness, I think that guy’s a con­ser­v­ative,” Arnn said.

Arnn spoke about the first prin­ciples that define con­ser­vatism, namely that all men are created equal and that gov­ern­ments are insti­tuted to secure the lib­erties of all indi­viduals. Arnn argued the admin­is­trative state is the greatest threat to this equality and liberty, but he said he believes that Trump will fight against it.

“What I’m trying to con­serve and also restore is those original arrange­ments — the best in human history,” Arnn said on the Con­sti­tution and sep­a­ration of powers.

Aryssa Damron, 21, from New Haven, Con­necticut, said Arnn sounded like an “old-school” con­ser­v­ative fighting against change for its own sake. She said his first-prin­ciples approach may be prob­lematic outside of con­ser­v­ative circles.

“It will be effective for people here, but people who don’t go here won’t be receptive to his argu­ments from first prin­ciples,” Damron said.

Although Arnn said he sees hope in Trump for the con­ser­v­ative movement, he noted he doesn’t always demon­strate the prin­ciples espoused in Hillsdale’s Honor Code.

“The Trump cam­paign has pre­sented special chal­lenges, because there are obvi­ously a lot of great things about that guy, but we don’t teach our stu­dents at Hillsdale College to act the way he does on all occa­sions,” Arnn said to a chuckling audience.

Hillsdale stu­dents expressed similar reser­va­tions about Trump as a man but said they were opti­mistic about him as pres­ident.

“I think that you have to take the good with the bad, but, in the end, he will uphold con­ser­v­ative values,” junior Mark Englert said.

Freshman Doyle Wang said he had some of his fears relieved about Trump, when he heard that he reads Hillsdale’s pub­li­cation Imprimis.

“I was highly skep­tical he would govern as a con­ser­v­ative,” Wang said. “But he made some great Cabinet appoint­ments, he is the best person to repeal Oba­macare, and he has the guts like no other Repub­lican since Reagan to seri­ously implement con­ser­v­ative policies.”

Cy Sineath, an Imprimis sub­scriber from Georgia, said he was happy to hear Arnn defend Trump against crit­i­cisms only rooted  in his per­sonal char­acter. Sineath said that will not affect his deci­sions as pres­ident.

“I really enjoyed hearing Dr. Arnn, who is a true patriot and defender of the Con­sti­tution,” Sineath said. “The fact that Trump isn’t beholden to anyone will allow him to govern like a con­ser­v­ative. He is a true citizen pres­ident.”

• WHATCHU Talkin’boutWillis

It’s a bit inter­esting that after 4 weeks of Trump chaos in the White House, his flurry of unim­portant exec­utive orders, that involve no REAL actions that Trump is now “offi­cially con­ser­v­ative”.

What would the great seer of con­ser­vatism base his shifting sand view­point upon?

Trump could start WW III , in short order, so that would be good, for business & the economy?

He is the like­liest PRes­ident ever to face impeachment, so that’s a good step in the Richard M. Nixon, Criminal in the White House direction.

I’ll think of more good con­ser­v­ative prin­ciples that he will adopt, given enough time.

• Donnie Pipper

where is Jack Welch of GE? where is Mitt Romney? where are all the CEOs of mil­itary indus­trial complex? you know. the one that got their tax cut but don’t want the pres­ident tell them to bring back their jobs jobs jobs they’ve send over sea???

• Hock­eyman

So now they have rede­fined Con­ser­vatism to mean all men are
    created equal, not the “Reagan con­ser­vatism” of small, limited gov­ernment and
    fiscal respon­si­bility. This allows for Trump to spend like crazy and grow the gov­ernment,
    some­thing they rebuked Obama over.

Such hyp­ocrites …

• man­derso

He’s really grabbed their kittie’s hasn’t he?

• Camus53

Are these the com­ments of a sup­posed intel­lectual edu­cator? or are they more likely the self serving com­ments of another indi­vidual cor­rupted by money and power, seeking more of both?

• AJ Horn

We don’t expect con­ser­v­ative purity from Trump. He was just more con­ser­v­ative than Hillary, that was an easy choice. The vitriol from the unhinged rent a mobs confirm everyday that we elected a con­ser­v­ative. Com­pared to the likes of Ellison, Schumer, Pelosi and Bernie, the Pres­ident is pos­i­tively Rea­ganesque.

• Camus53

If you are to compare Donnie to Ronnie I agree!
      Ronnie: Suf­fered dementia, known for having one of the single most corrupt gov­ernment teams in our history, blew the budget to outer space, was infat­uated with guns and mil­itary power, had han­dlers making most of his policies, his list of dubious accom­plish­ments do go on.
      But yes Donnie is com­paring quite nicely to Ronnie even at this early stage. But to, in any manner, call Donnie a con­ser­v­ative is incorrect and com­pletely under­scores how far removed today’s so called con­ser­v­a­tives are from true Con­ser­vatism which began its death spiral…now isn’t this a nice coincidence…at the time of Reagan’s arrival in DC.

Are these the words of a prin­cipled person most con­cerned with the “per­manent things”?

• Camus53

Have noticed you occas­sionally here on the Hap­pydale threads.
      Did you really attend, graduate from the Dale?
      Your name and avatar…confusing.
      Frus­trated con­ser­v­ative or con­fused lib­er­tarian?

Me…graduated when the school was still a wide open, free thinking, liberal arts college, until the arrival of George. I’m mostly free thinking, gen­erally tagged liberal, who oft quotes Gold­water and the NR to combat what’s going on with Trump & Co.. Vote Dem but not a Hillary fan boy, far from it.

If time permits…discretely fill in the blanks. Then I can say glad to meet you.

No prob… I grad­uated from Hillsdale in the mid 2000’s. I don’t know how you would pin my political thoughts. I would probably fall into “liberal social policy + con­ser­v­ative fiscal policy”. I guess for the pur­poses of posting on here, I feel that it is com­pletely insane that Hillsdale now chooses to market itself as an insti­tution focused on the “higher things” and then doesn’t live up to that standard. I mean, just be an insti­tution of higher learning — focus on con­ser­v­ative ideals and lim­iting gov­ernment inter­vention — but all of this other stuff that has entered the equation now that is com­plete non­sense and causes the leaders and stu­dents to not be what they say that they are. It’s con­cerning. Are you going to home­coming this year?

BTW, the avatar is what I use now when I post on Nebraska football web­sites — but Discuss still uses the old name from when I was spending a lot of time on Soprano’s forums.