With 19 days until the national election, Hillsdale College stu­dents favor pres­i­dential can­didate Donald Trump.

Of 493 respon­dents, a Col­legian survey found that more than 43 percent are planning to cast their ballots for the Repub­lican Party’s nominee. That is com­pa­rable to the 41 percent he gets nationally among likely voters in a four-way race, according to Ras­mussen Reports. Demo­c­ratic pres­i­dential nominee Hillary Clinton, however, is polling at 42 percent nationally, far sur­passing the 6 percent pledging their vote to her at Hillsdale.

Sophomore Gar­rison Grisdale said he is voting for Trump and wasn’t sur­prised that the Repub­lican nominee didn’t receive an over­whelming majority on one of the most con­ser­v­ative college cam­puses in America.

“I don’t think Hillsdale is an accurate rep­re­sen­tation of America as a whole,” Grisdale said. “Hillsdale is very unique. In the wake of Wik­iLeaks, this is feeling very much like an exis­tential election for America. It is about the people versus the elites, Amer­i­canism versus glob­alism. I don’t think many Hillsdale stu­dents will go and change their minds on Trump before election, but I think Amer­icans as a whole will probably come out for him.”

Many not sup­porting Trump are looking to Lib­er­tarian pres­i­dential nominee Gary Johnson, who received more than 20 percent of the votes on campus. Behind him, inde­pendent Evan McMullin took more than 11 percent.

“I think if McMullin came in earlier, he’d be ahead of Johnson at Hillsdale,” Clas­sical Liberal Orga­ni­zation Pres­ident junior Noah Weinrich said, noting that the Lib­er­tarian can­didate is pro-abortion rights and has made gaffes on foreign policy.

Asso­ciate Pro­fessor of Eco­nomics Charles Steele said when it comes to the actual election, voting for a third party is futile.

“They don’t have a chance,” he said.

Yet, some stu­dents might have had enough with the pres­i­dential election. More than 10 percent of respon­dents said they would either only vote down ticket or wouldn’t par­tic­ipate in the election at all this year.

Weinrich said he found these results con­cerning, espe­cially from those who aren’t planning to vote at all, given that the Senate could go to the Repub­licans or Democrats after this election.

Fin­ishing out the survey results, the Con­sti­tution Party’s Darrell Castle received 2 percent, Green Party can­didate Jill Stein earned 1 percent, Emidio Mimi Soltysik of the Natural Law Party gar­nered less than 1 percent, and 4 percent chose “other.”

Steele noted that write-in, inde­pendent can­didate Lau­rence Kot­likoff was not included in the survey.

“He is, without question, the single best can­didate for getting the budget under control,” Steele said.

As for Trump, Weinrich said he under­stands many at Hillsdale are voting for him reluc­tantly, believing Clinton would be a worse pres­ident.

“But I think it’s dis­ap­pointing,” Weinrich said. “One of the crit­i­cisms of Pres­ident Bill Clinton is his impu­rities, but Trump is doing the exact same thing if not worse.”

Weinrich said he thinks given Hillsdale stu­dents’ con­ser­v­ative leanings, the number voting for the Repub­lican Party’s can­didate is low com­pared to past elec­tions.

“He still doesn’t have a majority here,” Weinrich said. “I think that’s encour­aging.”

However, Pro­fessor of Pol­itics Thomas West, who has endorsed Trump, said he thinks stu­dents’ hes­i­tancy to voice support for the GOP can­didate is dan­gerous for America.

“What I get in class is a very strong sense that Trump sup­porters don’t want to talk pub­licly about their support for him because they don’t want to make their friends mad,” West said. “It’s the most inter­esting and important election of my lifetime. I don’t think there are  more than a small per­centage of stu­dents who rec­ognize that. This is the future of America we are talking about. Hillary is the most criminal, corrupt, and most evil can­didate to probably ever run for the pres­i­dency. And the idea that people on this campus would throw away their vote to not oppose her is shocking to me.”

Previous articlePhilosophy will take you to Church
Next articleBreaking windows and throwing rocks is not protest — it’s rioting
Thomas Novelly
Collegian Editor-in-Chief, Thomas Novelly was born in Novi, Michigan, but was raised in Franklin, Tennessee, making him a self-proclaimed "Yankee gone South." Thomas began writing for The Collegian as a sophomore, and since has served as a reporter, columnist, and Assistant City News Editor. He has also worked for two major publications, interning at the Washington Free Beacon in D.C. and The Tennessean in Nashville. His work has been seen in National publications such as CBS News, National Review Online, Stars And Stripes, and USA Today. Follow him on Twitter @TomNovelly.
  • Dave Edwards

It’s shocking to me that you are sup­porting a man who brags about com­miting criminal acts of sexual assault.

• frank66

How Many stu­dents voted for Harambe, our Lord and Savior?

• Camus53

There are 50…count em…50 members of the extreme far right Freedom Caucus in the House…who just this week began to lobby to remove Ryan as Speaker because he did not support their extreme views.

50 members of Con­gress who are ready to obstruct and further polarize the American political system in order for them to pursue their own narrow moral, social, reli­gious or political ide­ologies. 50 people who wish to change America to just what they want and deem appro­priate and are willing to do any­thing, including shutting down the gov­ernment, to get their way. Barry Gold­water warned the repub­lican party, warned the Con­ser­v­ative movement half a century ago about these extremists hijacking his party and oh how his words echo so true today.

We need to vote and vote in such a way and in such numbers that America’s voice does shake the walls and halls of Con­gress. And let us hope that the Repub­licans who are true Con­ser­v­a­tives and under­stand words like com­promise and states­manship, that these Repub­licans do what they must to restore their party to some manner of decency and respect for America.
    So VOTE like your country depends on it! She does.