lka

In 2005 I nearly sold my soul to the “Lego Star Wars” video game. That year over 30 million people fell victim to the seductive com­bi­nation of Star Wars, building blocks, and elec­tronics. This June, after the release of over 20 similar Lego games, con­sumers will have the chance to pur­chase “Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens.”

This news pits the consumer’s nos­talgia against reason. When I was 10, “Lego Star Wars” was a first-of-its-kind mas­ter­piece. The first Lego adventure game was based on the three Star Wars pre­quels and pre­ceded the release of “Revenge of the Sith.”

Nearly a decade later, I can see the same excitement in my younger sib­lings, but this new entry in the fran­chise aspires to expand on its pre­de­cessors while focusing on only one film. The new game promises levels from “The Force Awakens” and another section ded­i­cated to the events between the new film and “Return of the Jedi.”

The Star Wars movies are serial films. This game may come too soon for a series that is struc­tured in trilogies. Game developer Trav­elers’ Tales has made similar products for “Indiana Jones,” “Jurassic Park,” and “Lord of the Rings.” This game will be the first to be based on a single film.

The prospect of a new entry in a popular series is thrilling. It fails, however, to mask the cre­ators’ obvious attempt to cap­i­talize on the phe­nomenal success of “The Force Awakens.” Unless they plan to release updates until 2020, this new game will be part one of three titles, each retailing at $60 with extra content available for online pur­chase.

While in-game pur­chases are com­mon­place, this new chapter in “Lego Star Wars” has been bla­tantly split into physical parts for more profit. Hollywood’s love for dividing movies into “part 1” and “part 2” has found its way into children’s games. While this par­ticular issue might not concern most college stu­dents, it is frus­trat­ingly popular in modern media. After the “Harry Potter” movies split the final book in two, “Twi­light,” “The Hunger Games,” “The Hobbit,” and “Divergent” each fol­lowed suit to varying degrees of success.

Buying enter­tainment shouldn’t be a down payment fol­lowed by several more invest­ments. While paying for each installment of a game or film may offer instant sat­is­faction, it’s quite likely that in the end all the parts will be boxed together. The first two “Lego Star Wars” games were com­bined in 2008 for the price of one.

I’m not oblivious to the fact that the pro­ducers of these fran­chises want to make money. That is one of the pur­poses of the enter­tainment business. The people behind this divide-and-conquer approach to games and movies are smart and know how to increase their profits. They can release more “Lego Star Wars” games in 2018 and 2020, and fans are still going to fork over the money to have the full set.

Nev­er­theless, the prin­ciple of “less is more” must be con­sidered for films and video games, par­tic­u­larly when a fan can edit together the three parts of “The Hobbit” and make a decent three-hour movie. Pro­ducers add filler material to these movies and games to give fans a bigger expe­rience, but the sat­u­rated products waste con­sumers’ time and money. In the domestic box office “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1” made just under $300 million, the fourth highest in the series, while the second part led the fran­chise with over $380 million. Fans skipped the rising action and only bought tickets for the climax.

Perhaps the greatest issue with releasing this game so early is that its story fails to offer the same sat­is­faction of its pre­de­cessors. The first two Star Wars trilogies were com­plete story arcs. This game, like the second-to-last Harry Potter and Hunger Games films, rep­re­sents the rising action for a larger story. The movie was a com­plete nar­rative, but it will make for a subpar video game without episodes VIII and IX. The con­clusion of the film left many ques­tions to be answered by the sequels, with both heroes and vil­lains gearing up for a war that won’t appear in the­aters until 2019.

I’m excited and willing to pay $60 so my brothers can enjoy this game. It’s just frus­trating to know that this time expe­ri­encing the full story requires pur­chasing another one. And another one.

• Blood of 1fs

I agree. Even­tually this relentless mar­keting and push is going to cause even diehard fans major disdain for the news Star Wars