Hillsdale College will join the Great Midwest Ath­letic Con­ference effective July 1, 2017, the college announced today.

Hillsdale is cur­rently a member of the Great Lakes Inter­col­le­giate Ath­letic Con­ference. The move will not affect Hillsdale’s D‑II status or current ath­letic pro­grams.

“Being a member of the G‑MAC will be good for our student-ath­letes while main­taining Hillsdale’s high standard of ath­letic excel­lence,” Director of Ath­letics Don Brubacher said Monday in an email to campus. “By com­peting with stu­dents in similar aca­demic set­tings, our student ath­letes will be able to pri­or­itize their studies without sac­ri­ficing oppor­tu­nities to compete at the Division II level.”

The Uni­versity of Findlay, Walsh Uni­versity, Lake Erie College, and Ohio Dominican Uni­versity will join Hillsdale in making the switch from the GLIAC to the G‑MAC in 2017, while Malone Uni­versity will tran­sition to the G‑MAC in 2016.

Cur­rently, the G‑MAC is com­posed of Alderson Broaddus Uni­versity, Cedarville Uni­versity, Davis & Elkins College, Ken­tucky Wes­leyan College, Ohio Valley Uni­versity, Salem Inter­na­tional Uni­versity, Trevecca Nazarene Uni­versity, and Ursuline College.