He loves his country, believes in public service, and stands strong upon his Hillsdale edu­cation: David Viviano, ’94, will run to retain his seat on the Michigan Supreme Court next month.

“He is one of those people you meet and think to yourself, ‘If only he could be the one to run the world,’” said Pro­fessor of Business Law Robert Black­stock. Viviano, 42, earned his place on the supreme court under special cir­cum­stances when Gov. Rick Snyder appointed him to replace Justice Diane Hathaway who resigned amidst a scandal regarding bank fraud in Feb­ruary 2013.

In November, Repub­lican Viviano will face off against Democrat Deborah Thomas and Lib­er­tarian Kerry Morgan.

Viviano said his Hillsdale edu­cation formed the foun­dation upon which he’s built his judicial career.

“Whenever I mention that I attended Hillsdale College and that many of my family members have, I always receive applause,” Viviano said. “I’m proud to be a graduate and rep­resent the college.”

Specif­i­cally, Viviano appre­ciates Hillsdale’s clas­sical edu­cation in char­acter and judicial integrity — prin­ciples that he holds to be highly important.

“I find myself using what we all learned at Hillsdale about the founding prin­ciples set by our founding fathers, the sep­a­ration of powers, and idea of indi­vidual liberty,” Viviano said.

Joe Viviano, ‘96, calls his brother a “rule-of-law-judge” and cor­re­lates that with the emphasis Hillsdale places on freedom.

“If a judge does any­thing other than interpret the law as it’s passed by leg­is­lature you have rule-by-judges instead of people gov­erning them­selves,” Joe said. “And we all know Hillsdale is strong on self-gov­ernment.”

David Viviano agreed with his brother’s assessment of a judge’s proper function in gov­ernment.

“Judges are to defer to the policy of the leg­is­lature,” David said. “Judges are not policy makers.”

In addition to his edu­cation, David’s family plays a vital role in helping him achieve his goals.

“I had great role models,” David said. “My dad is a retired judge and we grew up cam­paigning for him.”

His father, Antonio Viviano, was a Macomb County probate and circuit judge until 2010.

Now, David’s large Italian family focuses its efforts on his cam­paigns. Pre­vi­ously, David ran in mul­tiple local elec­tions, winning a seat in 2006 to the Macomb County Circuit Court, where he served as chief judge from 2011 to 2013.

“We couldn’t do what we’ve done if our family wasn’t fully invested,” David said. “It’s important to us, and they’ve been willing to make sac­ri­fices and spend the time and effort nec­essary.”

“In local elec­tions, everyone would help,” Joe added. “My mom would organize poll workers, my sister, Kathy, would handle his finances, and all the cousins would put up signs and knock on doors.”

Because this is David’s first statewide election, he hired a full-time cam­paign manager while Joe serves as an adviser and fundraiser instead. David admits he’s had to learn about state pol­itics and how to run in statewide elec­tions.

“It takes a lot of time and money to get our message out to the whole state,” David said.

He’s bought radio and TV time, sought support from outside groups, and used social media to deliver his message to a broad spectrum of voters.

David believes that he has been well received by voters, but said the outcome is uncertain until election day.

AgriPac, Cit­izens for Tra­di­tional Values and Michigan Chamber of Com­merce are just a few of the asso­ci­a­tions and orga­ni­za­tions endorsing Viviano’s cam­paign. Viviano has also been endorsed by the Michigan Fra­ternal Order of Police and, as of last week, Police Officers Asso­ci­ation of Michigan.

Previous articleSecond half spark not enough
Next articleATO to shave heads for cancer charity
Avatar
Jessie Fox is a junior from Chelsea, Michigan: a small town just outside of Ann Arbor. As a marketing/management and Spanish double major with a journalism minor she hopes to pursue a career in writing or PR. Jessie is an assistant sports editor and has written for the Collegian for the past two years. jfox@hillsdale.edu | twitter: @whatthefox_says