Swift expresses desire for marriage in new album

Taylor Swift released her long-anticipated “The Tortured Poets Department” on April 19. The album has a lot of impressive songwriting and commentary but fell short in some significant areas.

The album featured a number of songs that were lyrically and musically complex, but also a number of filler songs. With 31 tracks on the full version of the album, a number of songs didn’t feel particularly memorable.

One of the songs that stuck out was “I Can Do It With a Broken Heart,” in which Swift details her ability to perform while going through hardship in her personal life. The song’s upbeat style, combined with melodramatic lyrics, complements the song’s message effectively. 

Swift expresses her desire to be married and have children through some of her lyrics. In “The Prophecy,” Swift laments her failed relationships and prays for her life to change. In “loml,” Swift addresses a past relationship and looks back with regret as she remembers the desire she had to be married to this person.

Though Swift’s previous albums featured songs like “Lavender Haze,” which critiqued the institution of marriage, this album seems to reflect Swift’s maturing views on marriage and family life. This theme throughout the album, makes for an interesting departure from Swift’s previous work.

There were a number of songs in the album, however, that didn’t stand out. “How Did it End?” and “Robin” were forgettable in the grand scheme of the album. While there are certainly merits to a double album, the excessive amount of songs made it difficult to enjoy each song individually.

Though there were many great lyrics in “The Tortured Poets Department,” there were also a number of sacrilegious and blasphemous lyrics. In the song “Guilty as Sin?” Swift makes an extended metaphor which compares herself to Jesus being resurrected. This metaphor, particularly in a song filled with sexual overtones, was unnecessary and concerning to hear in such a mainstream album.

“The Tortured Poets Department” is certainly not Swift’s best work. It’s also by no means the worst. It has its merits and its downfalls, but it would be surprising if this album was remembered by future generations.