Local seventh grader wins academy chess tournament

Senior Michael Kunzler, Asher Church, and graduate student Jameson Payne (left to right) at the chess tournament. Church won first place.
Courtesy | Ian Church

A 12 year old beat college students and others to win first place at the Hillsdale Academy Spring 2024 Classic chess tournament on April 6.

Asher Church, a seventh grader at Will Carleton Academy, prevailed in a field of 18 competitors who played five rounds from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., according to Christian Winter, Academy Latin teacher and the event organizer. The rounds lasted for 30 minutes with 15 minutes per player and a 10-second bonus after each move. Competitors included Hillsdale Academy students, Hillsdale College students and faculty, and children of faculty.

“I think everyone enjoyed themselves,” Winter said. “It was competitive, the winner was decided in the last round, and it gave people an opportunity to gain tournament experience.”

Asher Church finished first with four wins and one draw, according to Winter. Hillsdale College graduate student Jameson Payne placed second, and Hillsdale College senior  Michael Kunzler placed third.

“It felt amazing to win,” Asher Church said. “It was completely unexpected.”

Ian Church, Asher Church’s father and associate professor of philosophy at Hillsdale College, said it was his son’s first chess tournament.

“As a parent, it’s always wonderful to see your children succeed at things they’re passionate about,” Ian Church said. “Asher knew he’d be facing extremely serious competition, so I think he was simply going into it hoping to learn and enjoy the game. But now I think he’s thoroughly hooked and eager to play in more tournaments.”

Ian Church said his son began seriously playing chess in the summer of 2023.

“He loves to study chess tactics and theory, and he loves to play chess online and with his friends at school whenever he has the chance,” Ian Church said. “My sons and I love to watch the grandmasters play live online together.”

Payne said he enjoyed the tournament.

“It was a good, low-stakes opportunity to get back into tournament play,” Payne said. “It was well-run and there was a good mix of ratings, so anybody can find a person to play with.”

Payne said he entered the tournament because he likes the game.

The tournament was not officially rated, which was nice since I haven’t kept up with consistent practice since graduating from undergrad,” Payne said.

Winter said he hopes to make this an annual event.

“I would also like to organize a blitz tournament with short time controls for the fall,” Winter said. “I also hope to make future tournaments United States Chess Federation-rated, but that will require working through a bit of red tape.”

Ian Church said playing chess with his son has become a humbling experience.

“I love to play chess with Asher, though my chances of winning are vanishingly small these days,” Ian Church said. “Not only does he almost always beat me, but now he can explain to me how and why he’s beating me in great detail.”