College Republicans to host Kathy Barnette for talk on political strategy

The College Republicans will host conservative political commentator Kathy Barnette for a political strategy talk entitled “Block, Tackle, Steal: A Game Plan for the Republican Party” on Monday, April 22, at 7 p.m. in the Hoynak Room.

“If anyone knows what the game plan of the GOP should be this November, it’s Kathy. I strongly encourage all of campus to show up,” freshman and treasurer Josiah Jones said. “This event isn’t just for politics majors — everyone is welcome, and it will surely inspire everyone in attendance.”

Barnette has most recently served as the National Grassroots Director for Vivek Ramaswamy’s 2024 presidential campaign. She ran unsuccessfully for a U.S. Senate seat in Pennsylvania in the 2022 election cycle. Prior to her involvement in politics, Barnette served in the United States Army Reserve and the United States National Guard and also worked as a financier.

Jones said Barnette’s life and career are admirable.

“Kathy is nothing but inspiring — she was born in poverty in the rural deep South and has experienced the American dream first hand,” Jones said. “As a Pennsylvanian, I vividly remember watching her last-minute surge against her more established competitors, all while being completely funded by the grassroots.”

Freshman Drew Bennett was enthusiastic about Barnette when she first entered the political arena, he said.

“I’m really looking forward to hearing Kathy speak when she comes to Hillsdale. I first heard about her when she ran for U.S. Senate in Pennsylvania in 2022,” Bennett said. “I’m not from Pennsylvania, but she seemed like the best candidate with the most potential out of those running in the Republican primary.”

Bennett said he took note of Barnette’s crucial role in the Ramaswamy campaign.

“I followed the Vivek Ramaswamy campaign closely over the past year or two and was really impressed with his expansive policy platform,” Bennett said. “Kathy was an inspiring member of his team, and I believe she played a significant role in bringing Vivek from being relatively unknown to polling in second and third place later in the primary.”

Dues-paying members of College Republicans are invited to a private policy panel and book signing following the talk.

“She will be giving an important message on a winning strategy that Republicans should adopt in 2024,” Bennett said. “I believe Kathy has a bright future ahead of her, and I’m excited to attend the event and book signing.”

Loading