Richard Day retires from maintenance after 32 years

Richard Day holds his retirement cake at a celebration the college hosted for him.
Courtesy | Alicia Kelley

After working for the college since 1991, zone maintenance technician Richard “Rich” Day retired from full-time work Feb. 29. He will remain on the maintenance staff part time.

College President Larry P. Arnn said Day was one of the first people he met when he came to Hillsdale. 

“He was setting up telephones in our new home,” Arnn said. “He was on that day what he has been ever after: courteous, efficient, cheerful. He has been a blessing to the college with his skill and his good character. He tells my wife he will still be around and do some work from time to time. We are all very glad about that.”

Day, who is 67, was born and raised in Hudson, Michigan, where he still lives with his wife. Day joined the Hillsdale College maintenance staff in September 1991, after working in factories, on farms, and then for six years installing phone systems for Larry’s Telephone Service in Hillsdale County. Day said his then-boss Lawrence “Larry” Reasoner told him about the job opening at the college.

The college hired someone else the first time he applied, Day said, but when the initial candidate quit a year later Reasoner encouraged him to apply again.

“He told me to get my rear end up there, and I interviewed again, and that was the beginning of it,” Day said. 

Day said he wishes he had started working for the college sooner, but he is grateful for the time he had here.

“I just kind of fell into this wiring job and doing phone work and I was surviving, but I didn’t know where I was going with my life,” Day said. “And then I come up here, and I could see that this was going to be steady employment and it was going to be steady work. Not only was I doing the phones, but I was doing the mechanical work, too. And it’s what I enjoyed, and it’s been very rewarding. It’s been a great adventure.”

During his time in maintenance, Day said he began by installing and maintaining telephone systems but has also worked on cable locating and outdoor lighting among other general maintenance tasks.

“I’m pretty good mechanically-wise,” Day said. “I mean, you name it, I can pretty much do a little bit of everything.”

Day said he has never stopped learning and tries to provide insight to the newer members of the maintenance team when he can. 

“Any time you can put your feet on the ground and strive to do good where you’re at, you may not be able to always give it 100%, but try to give it the best you can,” Day said. “That’s kind of my outlook on life.”

Fleet mechanic Scott Handy said Day has often stepped up to help him with vehicle preparation, equipment maintenance, and event setup. 

“He’s very knowledgeable about the college,” Handy said. “Ask him any question and he would know just about everything you need to know.”

In addition to mechanical work, Day said he has enjoyed working on greenhouses and landscaping around campus with college horticulturist Angela Girdham. 

“I work with her a lot because I know how important it is, the first impression,” Day said. “What people see are the little things that most people just overlook.”

Girdham said Day took over her responsibilities at the Hayden Park greenhouse in 2022 when she had to take an unexpected leave. 

“He is such an advocate for my crew; always predicting our needs and going above and beyond to make them happen,” Girdham said. “Rich is such a wealth of information from all of his years at the college and often provides important guidance for projects. He is an absolute pleasure to work beside and exactly the type of person you want as a part of your team.”

Day said he has seen the campus change a lot during his time at the college as buildings are constructed and torn down and people come and go. He said he has always tried to take his time and provide quality workmanship to make the campus better for students. 

Day said he is humbled by the number of people who care about him on campus.

“There’s a lot of people that are not around anymore, but there’s a lot of them that are, and we’ve got a bunch of good faculty and staff,” Day said. “I’m a pleased man.”

Provost Christopher VanOrman said he has worked with Day for many years.

“He has been a tremendous asset to the college,” VanOrman said. “I wish him the best in his retirement and will miss seeing him working around campus.”

Day said he hopes to spend his retirement fishing, overhauling engines, and visiting with his two children and four grandchildren, who live in other areas of Michigan. He will still be on campus occasionally to help in maintenance. 

“I can’t just shut it off. After 32 years, I don’t think I could just say ‘Oh, I’m done. I’m just gonna do this and do that,’” Day said. “It’s time for me to have a little more free time for myself, but I will be back on campus.”