Military history students prepare for American Revolution trip

Students will travel to the major sites and battlefields of the American Revolution with the Center for Military History and Grand Strategy over spring break. 

Led by Professor of History David Stewart, the trip will include visits to Norfolk, Virginia; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Valley Forge, Pennsylvania; Washington, D.C.; and Yorktown, Virginia.

“We’re going to visit some first-class museums, but the highlights are certainly the Valley Forge encampment and the Yorktown battlefield,” Stewart said.

Freshman Grace Canlas said she thinks the trip will be a fantastic opportunity for those who want to learn more about history.

“It’s one of those things that I am just so stoked to do and it’s a great opportunity within the context of Hillsdale, especially to have the professors lead it,” Canlas said. “We have great classes here at Hillsdale but when you actually get to go and experience the places, I think that just deepens your engagement.”

Junior Jonathan Popa said he loves military history and is a military history and grand strategy minor.

I’m generally looking forward to the trip as a whole,” Popa said. “I’m looking forward to the museums in D.C., as I haven’t been to D.C. since early middle school, and think I would appreciate the material to be learned a lot more now.”

Freshman Ava Jolley said she is excited to see Yorktown and the Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia.

The center plans to host similar trips in the future, according to Stewart. 

“The CMH hopes to offer trips every spring break, probably rotating through three itineraries — one year Valley Forge and Yorktown, the next centering on Gettysburg and Chancellorsville, and the third visiting Boston, Ticonderoga, and Saratoga,” Stewart said.

Jolley said she thinks the trips offered by the program provide a unique way to learn more about history.

“I have a feeling I am going to love this trip,” Jolley said.  “I would love to go on similar trips and I am so excited to learn more about American history. I would also highly recommend it because everyone should know at least a little bit of military history and strategy.”

Canlas said she agreed with Jolley on the importance of personally visiting the location students learn about in class.

“There are two things I am looking forward to the most,” Canlas said. “One is going to Yorktown and second is the Museum of the American Revolution. I think both of those things will really deepen my understanding of the American Revolution and just provide for a deeper engagement, whether that’s an increased appreciation or reverence for the people and events.”

Stewart said that the growing program hopes to help students better understand the experiences of the American soldiers by visiting the locations where they were.

“We hope students will develop a deep appreciation for the challenges the Continental Army faced, and the tremendous efforts the Americans overcame to achieve victory,” Stewart said.